Search the forum,

Discuss LDK Solar Panels / Price question in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ibby

I have the chance to aquire 14 x 235Watt at a good price.

How do people rate LDK solar panels?
(they are brandnew).

What is the average price of paying an installer to install the complete system?

Thanks

Well, They are up for sale, and I have agreed a price.
But before I commit to paying for them, I thought i should ask the guys on the forums about their views!

thanks

Is there not a problem here though?
my understanding is that as an MCS installer you have to have a paper trail from beginning to end, so of the customer supplies their own panels then the install would be non compliant, therefore putting FIT payments at risk.
I have some LDK panels installed on one of my jobs and they appear to be producing well.

As mentioned earlier: In would be concerned that buying your own kit will forfeit your right to receive the generous Feed-in-Tariff subsidy payments.

Regarding LDK

I have a friend with rent-a-roof (HomeSun?) and they have 14x235W LDK Poly panels which seem to be performing satisfactorily and there must be a reason why the rent-a-roof businesses decide to use them; they're a business with profit from Feed-in-Tariff subsidies as their only motivation.

But what is a warranty worth?
Given dirty panels, erratic weather and other factors, how can the average solar owner tell the difference between 1% annual degradation and 2% annual degradation even if they bothered to regularly monitor system performance?
How would most customers ever realise that they've lost a panel, or lost a subsection of a panel, or a bypass diode?

What if the installer has ceased trading (I think that post-August will see many solar installers throw in the towel). How would the customer go about dealing with a warranty claim if their installer was no longer around?

Is there not a problem here though?
my understanding is that as an MCS installer you have to have a paper trail from beginning to end, so of the customer supplies their own panels then the install would be non compliant, therefore putting FIT payments at risk.
I have some LDK panels installed on one of my jobs and they appear to be producing well.

That doesnt make sense!

The Panels them self are MCS certified and so will be the invertor.

If the panels are compliant and so are all the bits then why cant the customer get FIT payments?

I believe the rules changed on this, as I understand from your post you were going to buy the panels and pay an installer to fit them.
The mcs installer has to supply the the key components, so the paper trail is complete from beginning to end.
This was put in place to protect MCS companies, as non MCS companies were selling jobs, installing them then paying an MCS company to sign them off.
i hope you understand.

I believe the rules changed on this, as I understand from your post you were going to buy the panels and pay an installer to fit them.
The mcs installer has to supply the the key components, so the paper trail is complete from beginning to end.
This was put in place to protect MCS companies, as non MCS companies were selling jobs, installing them then paying an MCS company to sign them off.
i hope you understand.

I understand that,
But leaves the customer with a bigger bill!

I get the feeling the op is looking for the cheapest option with little interest in how good an install he will get. 'Aquiring' panels, potentially non MCS installer....Good Luck with that!

A bigger bill? For what reason?

what i meant to say,

eg.

I have been looking at MCS panels off ebay and other sites and a 235watt panel would cost around 130 to 160£ each.
The invertor is half of the retail price 500£

I would always use a MCS certified installer, but dont like the clause of we wont fit your items!

doing it this way, would shave around 2k off the price of a solar install.

to recieve the fit you need a paid invoice for the job and an mcs certificate and a epc certificate

if you get an accredited installer he wont know you have aquired the panels and wont want to get involved with it

So basically what you are saying is that you would rather tap the expertise of a forum like this where advice is offered in good faith than have to pay for it?

I don't mind helping Joe Public out but I think you're having a laugh.

there is a long and illustrious hisotry of people buying counterfeit (and sometimes dangerous) kit of ebay. Now, I have sold spare kit on ebay, but I would suggest using caution.
There is a good reason why stuff costs more if youget it from the supplier.

We have installed hundreds of the LDK Poly panels. Whilst it's almost impossible to accurately monitor them without spending serious amounts of time we have no issues with their performance. We monitor all our clients performance figures if they bother to send in their readings. By far our best performing system is a 4Kwp South facing 35° with Sanyo HIT250'2 and a Fronius inverter. Which goes to prove, you get what you pay for.

There were a lot of LDK 235's stolen last November so if you have any concerns ask for the serial numbers before paying-send them to me to check if they are on the reported stolen list.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woh there...
This is where bad mistakes are made, a system has to be designed, you do not just buy some panels and an inverter connect it all together and away you go.
You have to look at maximum and minimum string voltages, will the inverter be running at its optimum for the location, is it G83 approved, is it suitable for the grid voltage in your area, and the list goes on..

This is also not a clause, it is a condition to have an MCS approved system, that enables you access to the FIT, maybe you are not aware of the costs of running an MCS company.

I am trying to help you here, as I can understand the appeal of saving a few pounds, but trust me it will cost you dearly in the fullness of time.

Why not get some quotes from some local companies, you may be surprised.

So basically what you are saying is that you would rather tap the expertise of a forum like this where advice is offered in good faith than have to pay for it?

I don't mind helping Joe Public out but I think you're having a laugh.

I just joint the forum as its free. I wanted your expertise input hence why I asked!
I could have just phoned afew installers and got the answers!

But I like the internet!

what i meant to say,

eg.

I have been looking at MCS panels off ebay and other sites and a 235watt panel would cost around 130 to 160£ each.
The invertor is half of the retail price 500£

I would always use a MCS certified installer, but dont like the clause of we wont fit your items!

doing it this way, would shave around 2k off the price of a solar install.

I'm not sure how you can shave 2k off the price, at the end of the day your only supplying the panels, and as far as I am aware installers aren't in a position to add £2k onto the price of materials but they will get them at trade price which is probably not the prices you are looking at online. That is unless they are basically giving you them for free?

The cost of labour, surveying, scaffolding, certification etc will not change. You will save a few hundred quid by buying the materials for slightly cheaper, but you'll also waiver any warranty that may have been issued by the installer as they won't guarantee YOUR panels. Plus you'll effectively have designed the system yourself so no recourse if it under performs due to a mis match.

I really don't understand the logic personally, your looking at a 10%+ return and a pay pack of less than 10 years even if you pay for the installer to supply at the current prices, but you get a lot of protection against your investment at the same time.

The problem with solar installs is people forget that although the install seems relatively simple, it's the behind the scenes stuff like paperwork etc that takes as much time and people need to be paid for that as well you know because if your in the office filling out forms, your not out doing installs or surveying for other potential jobs. It's a business not a charity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how you can shave 2k off the price, at the end of the day your only supplying the panels, and as far as I am aware installers aren't in a position to add £2k onto the price of materials but they will get them at trade price which is probably not the prices you are looking at online.
The cost of labour, surveying, scaffolding, certification etc will not change. You will save a few hundred quid by buying the materials for slightly cheaper, but you'll also waiver any warranty that may have been issued by the installer as they won't guarantee YOUR panels. Plus you'll effectively have designed the system yourself so no recourse if it under performs due to a mis match.

I really don't understand the logic personally, your looking at a 10%+ return and a pay pack of less than 10 years even if you pay for the installer to supply at the current prices, but you get a lot of protection against your investment at the same time.

The problem with solar installs is people forget that although the install seems relatively simple, it's the behind the scenes stuff like paperwork etc that takes as much time and people need to be paid for that as well you know because if your in the office filling out forms, your not out doing installs or surveying for other potential jobs. It's a business not a charity.

after knowing what I know now.

I stand corrected :)

We have sold a great deal of LDK and had very few problems - they are great panels for the price.

Unfortunately for the OP we would only sell them to installers, (or other distribution companies) for exactly the reasons stated throughout this thread. Being "trade only" also helps to protect our customers (installers), the industry as a whole, and therefore ultimately the end users interests in the long term.

I would be wary of any wholesaler who markets themselves as selling panels direct to the public.

We have sold a great deal of LDK and had very few problems - they are great panels for the price.

Unfortunately for the OP we would only sell them to installers, (or other distribution companies) for exactly the reasons stated throughout this thread. Being "trade only" also helps to protect our customers (installers), the industry as a whole, and therefore ultimately the end users interests in the long term.

I would be wary of any wholesaler who markets themselves as selling panels direct to the public.

read the posts back there is no wholesaler the op mentioned the words (aquire some panels)

just because he is buying on ebay doesn't mean he isn't buying from a VAT registered business!
Even from a private buyer somewhere down the line VAT will have been paid, always assuming the panels have at some stage been paid for of course!

just because he is buying on ebay doesn't mean he isn't buying from a VAT registered business!
Even from a private buyer somewhere down the line VAT will have been paid, always assuming the panels have at some stage been paid for of course!

the word aquired normally means stolen lol

"I am not a theif, no do i deal with stolen goods"

I don't think anyone was suggesting you were, but by following our advice you will avoid inadvertently getting into such a situation....

Theres nothing wrong with LDK but they are cheap for a reason, they have lost so much money in the last 6 months that I think they may struggle to survive, they are being taken to court in China by some of their suppliers for non payment of bills, they have to highest debt to equity ratio in the business and I fear they may have reached the point of self fulfilling prophecy where people are too scared to use them for fear of them disappearing. And generally all Chinese panels dont perform aswell as European/Japanese panels so you do get what you pay for.

Just wanted to point that out.

nobody has suggested such a thing, but think about it as you could be the link between the theif and the guy who had the panels nicked from his premisses. thats if the panels you can buy cheaper are the ACTUAL stolen ones.

Reply to LDK Solar Panels / Price question in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net