Discuss LED indicator light to fit in a wiska box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I recently installed some flood lights on the side of a commercial building for the safety of staff at night, they are PIR flood lights, unfortunately the local hoodlums have decided that the car park is now their playground and like a moth to a flame seem to have been attracted since the lights have been put in, they have caused various damage and police have been called etc...

The lights are fed from two different feeds, my solution will be to put a quinetic receiver at each of the power sources in a wiska box then each member of staff that locks up can have a key fob connected to both receivers so once they are safely in their car they can turn the lights off, the can then turn them back on in the morning when they come to unlock..

What I was looking for though was a 230v power indicator light that could be screwed into a 20mm hole in the side of a wiska box so that it would show if it was on or off... Anybody know of such a thing?

Most wholesalers will have control indicators for panel building.

Can’t you add a timer to the lights, so they go off after 10 minutes or so after staff have left.

All the control indicators seem to be 22mm, would they still fit into the side of a 20mm wiska box?

The building is hired out to various people so it can vary when they lock up, sometimes it can be 2pm, sometimes it can be 11pm there is no set routine, I think during these dark nights they have had problems with the youths earlier in the evening.. A light is not desperately needed but might be useful if say they want to turn them off at 2pm when its still light then they can see the indicator has gone off so know that its worked.

deal with the hoodlums, then worry about the lights:
1647460889710.png

Would something like this be easier?

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/elkay...VhLHtCh1ofA8eEAQYBSABEgKs3PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was thinking this, but it would only work when they leave work, at the switch would be in the building.
If it's dark when they arrive then the fob is a good idea.

Would something like this be easier?

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/elkay...VhLHtCh1ofA8eEAQYBSABEgKs3PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

No the flood lights are fed from the upper floor so would need to get a cable down to the lower floor entrance which would be a right pain.. Plus the lights are fed from two different consumer units, two different circuits, about 30m or so apart so would be a lot of cable to run, hence the wireless option is definitely much cheaper... Sometimes they leave at say 2pm and come back and open up at say 6pm, so because the use is all over the place any sort of time is just out of the question..

deal with the hoodlums, then worry about the lights:
View attachment 96096

Well the police have been round and their suggestion is to turn off the flood lights at night, it was suggested they were happy to get CCTV that could be viewed remotely but the question was asked, if they saw something would the police respond... The police response was "Well you know we have other priorities so we might but it would take a while and they would probably be gone by then", so the question was asked, if they got decent CCTV that identified someone damaging property etc would they use the evidence to prosecute.. The police response was "Oh no I dont think we would bother doing that its not worth it"...

What a society we live in.. Police obviously too busy trying to catch people doing 4 miles an hour over the speed limit, cause thats more of a priority for the police the youths running amuck causing loads of damage...

My suggestion was to put a camera up and when they same them put a system in place so it played nursery rhymes at them till they went away...

Guard dog?

My suggestion of a timer was more that they switch the lights off when they leave, but there’s a run on timer that keeps the light on for 20 minutes or so until the staff are in their car and away.

Cpc farnell may be another source of small indication lights… I’ve not used them in a while though.

Well the police have been round and their suggestion is to turn off the flood lights at night, it was suggested they were happy to get CCTV that could be viewed remotely but the question was asked, if they saw something would the police respond... The police response was "Well you know we have other priorities so we might but it would take a while and they would probably be gone by then", so the question was asked, if they got decent CCTV that identified someone damaging property etc would they use the evidence to prosecute.. The police response was "Oh no I dont think we would bother doing that its not worth it"...

What a society we live in.. Police obviously too busy trying to catch people doing 4 miles an hour over the speed limit, cause thats more of a priority for the police the youths running amuck causing loads of damage...

My suggestion was to put a camera up and when they same them put a system in place so it played nursery rhymes at them till they went away...

My son is in the police, and believe me, they don't just spend their time catching people doing '4 miles an hour over the limit'. I'd certainly advise against believing the comments from certain 'experts' on Facebook who peddle that sort of rubbish.

I know I certainly couldn't do what they do. Choosing between wiring things up, and confronting people with knives/nearly getting run over by car criminals/dealing with relatives of people who have been killed - I know what I'd choose every time.

Don't forget over recent years pretty much every business and a large proportion of domestic properties have CCTV. Couple that with the hundreds of thousands of dashcams people have, and you soon realise that it would be impractical to come out to even half of the things that people report in.

I had a job exactly like this, the lady wanted to be able to turn the lights on when she left the office but also remotely when she arrived when it was dark. Didn’t want pir’s as it was a public alley so would have been triggered constantly.
My solution was a wise box time lag kit. Wireless switch in the foyer that anyone could use and a key fob for her. Pressing either would turn the lights on for a short period and then they would automatically go off.
You’d need two boxes for your situation but could code the wireless switch and key fob to both boxes to operate at the same time.

Reply to LED indicator light to fit in a wiska box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net