Discuss LED tube starter fuses blowing in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me understand this. I've just replaced both my florescent tube lights with Energizer LED tubes, and they were fine for about a week but last night the starter fuse in the kitchen light blew. This afternoon I swapped in the starter from the other light and it too immediately blew!

These are the kind of basic replacement tubes that fit into existing ballasts, just requiring you to swap out the starter for the new LED fuse. This one:

The fuses are rated for 250mA.

Is there something wrong with my wiring? And if I replace the fuses, should I get a higher rated fuse, and if so what amperage should I aim for?

If the 'starter' fuse was supplied with the LED tube then it should be the right rating. I would assume the LED tube itself is faulty and taking too much current or has gone S/C.

Er 250mA Fuse?
That's what it says on the fuse.

If the 'starter' fuse was supplied with the LED tube then it should be the right rating. I would assume the LED tube itself is faulty and taking too much current or has gone S/C.
So you don't think it could be a problem with the wiring in the house?

And could a bad resistor in the tube be responsible?

Last edited:
i always change for a new led fitting, seen far to many of these replacement tube kits fail.

Same also. Plus if you still have all the control gear left connected in the fitting, the energy savings are not as great as you are possibly expecting.
I didn't remove or rewire anything, which I now guess could be the problem. Would leaving the ballast in place potentially blow the fuse on the LED tube?

Fitting LEDs into old ballasts is problematic due to the amount and nature of them, old floor tubes have a lot of tolerance for voltage fluctuations etc but LEDs don’t so can create havoc.
Easiest option is just to replace the whole unit.

LED fittings have come down a lot in price over the years to make these retrofit kits obsolete.

Fluorescent tubes have gone UP in price as demand drops.

Reply to LED tube starter fuses blowing in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net