Discuss Light socket controllable by dimmer UK in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a double light switch where one switch is terminated into a wago clip. I'd like to replace these wagos with a socket as I'm not sure what sort of light to put on there.

Is there a socket I can use that can be controlled by a dimmer switch?

I have a double light switch where one switch is terminated into a wago clip. I'd like to replace these wagos with a socket as I'm not sure what sort of light to put on there.

Is there a socket I can use that can be controlled by a dimmer switch?

Do you mean a switch has been removed and the cables terminated with wago's but you now want to fit a socket in place of the switch?

The wagos are where I would like to put a socket. It's currently a double rocker switch where one of the switches controls a light and the other switch terminates into the wagos. I'd like to replace the double rocker switch with a dimmer

Can you show a picture.
The switch I want to replace with a dimmer (there is another switch across the room that does the same thing which I also want to replace with a dimmer). The other switch feeds a light that is already connected.

The 2nd pic is the wago that one of the switches terminates into. The other wire feeds into another wago across the room so ideally I would like 2 double dimmers where one of the switches feeds the main light and the other controls the sockets. I just need to know if the sockets are dimmer safe?

Attachments

• 16713894258563738648969996825685.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 16713894528051681112694713959752.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 10
I'm guessing those cables in the second photo are coming out of the ceiling? You could fit a 5A socket, per post #2 from James, which could be recessed into the ceiling e.g. in a drylining box.

What is the intended use for these outlets? I'd presume the original intent was some hardwired lights or maybe a driver for LED strips etc? Is there some reason you want to be able to plug/unplug whatever lights you plan to use?

I'm guessing those cables in the second photo are coming out of the ceiling? You could fit a 5A socket, per post #2 from James, which could be recessed into the ceiling e.g. in a drylining box.

What is the intended use for these outlets? I'd presume the original intent was some hardwired lights or maybe a driver for LED strips etc? Is there some reason you want to be able to plug/unplug whatever lights you plan to use?
Yes basically a driver for led lights or something similar. I had the plasterers turn up before it could be decided on what to do with it so it's been left as a cable hanging out the ceiling. Have noticed most LEDs come with a 5v or 12v transformer so wasn't sure if replacing the current rocket switch with a dimmer would be appropriate as this would be before it gets to the transformer. I don't know whether a transformer that works with a dimmer on the 240v side even exists? A 5a socket would certainly be more "complete" then a wago but wouldn't be the final product.

Reply to Light socket controllable by dimmer UK in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net