Discuss Lighting/flourecent connector blocks opinion in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tricks343

Hi everyone, I hope all is well

Today I was installing some new IP65 Non-corosive twin flourecents. They where in exchange for similar lights.
The wiring was done (or at least added too) by some DIY know it all.

While I was installing one of the lights I had to make adjustments to the cable. The circuit was fed at switch And in the fitting the Switch was joined by a connector block, extended to reach the fitting terminals and also feed the next light in the circuit, however also from the fittings attached terminal block was another light being fed.

In total 4 cables 3 in one block, two in the terminal block

The loose block that was used for extending was covered in insulation tape which had become very sticky
I reterminated it all. Not particularly happy with the wiring but to me it's acceptable. I didn't apply insulation tape because I can't stand it when it's done.

Them Mr know it all turns up. He said get some tape on it and push the block into the ceiling at this point a debate broke out. Because even though it's advised to keep cables to a minimum in such a fitting pushing a connector block into the ceiling is not allowed and to be honest I'd rather not put a maintenence free Jb on it then in to the ceiling as I'd rather have any joint like that accessible even if such actions are allowed.

What are your opinions?
Firstly, wrapping the joint in a tonne of insulation tape when its enclosed.
Secondly, pushing joints into a ceiling regardless if it's in maintenence free containment.
And finally, DIY "experts" who always think they know best!

Thanks guys!

There is nothing wrong with it, it's just why would you put a cable joint behind a light that can't be accessed when you can leave it accessible in containment. Just saves any future issues with said connection especially as Im not impressed with wiring I've seen and may have to do more work here. In some cases it needs to be done it, I'm not against it just better to avoid it.

I'm not sure what you mean in regards to the end of the light fitting...

Okay example , 3plate wiring, expensive fitting not much room, use jb on end of flex on fitting make connections push in celling, still accessible is it not.?

Okay example , 3plate wiring, expensive fitting not much room, use jb on end of flex on fitting make connections push in celling, still accessible is it not.?

Yes it's accessible but what I'm saying is I'd avoid it. The fittings were large and plenty of space, very little cable taking up space inside them. I agree in a situation like that you would do that but I'm not going to make the already damaged hole in the ceiling any bigger when it's not needed. Plus by the time this guy was telling me to push it in the ceiling I'd already mounted the back. It just wasn't needed. Like I said before I'm not against it I just said it's something I avoid if I can

Nothing wrong with joints at all in a flu,just keep the wiring and connectors clear of chokes because of the heat,or use heat resistant sleeving.Wagos tend to impress the KIA's who poo themselves at the sight of a 'choc block' connector as they invariably refer to them. The best line to take with these people is to hand them a copy of the BYB and say "there you go,find me the reg you are referring to then".
I did this to a KIA school caretaker who amongst other things insisted that the grid we were installing 600x600 drop-ins into had to be bonded.He never bothered us again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Lighting/flourecent connector blocks opinion in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net