Discuss Linking Notifier ID2000 Fire alarm panels in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi-

I've got to link a new fire alarm system into a Notifier ID2000 panel.
Can I get a repeater panel to do this or will I have to get a new ID2000 panel?
Is the link between the panels made using FP200?
The distance between the panels is about 200M, will this be a problem?
Once installed will I be able to setup the two panels on-site using an RS232 link to a laptop or do these units contain an EEPROM that needs to be reprogrammed?

The new system is pretty small and just contains 20 sounders and 10 call points.

-Cheers

Last edited:
A bit confused, are you saying you have installed a new zone and want to connect back to an existing fire alarm panel???

Or you have a new install & panel and want to link it to an existing system in another area???

Can you elaborate a bit please.

A bit confused, are you saying you have installed a new zone and want to connect back to an existing fire alarm panel???

Or you have a new install & panel and want to link it to an existing system in another area???

Can you elaborate a bit please.

I've got a new install & panel and I want to link it back to an existing ID2000 system.
I think I can do it with 1.5mm FP200 over a length of 200M.

You may need a 4c cable to do this. I'm not familiar with the make myself.

In the past I've used a 4c FP200 to link panels of a different make, (Kentec & Advanced) as seperate fire & fault contacts were required.

Hi-

I've got to link a new fire alarm system into a Notifier ID2000 panel.
Can I get a repeater panel to do this or will I have to get a new ID2000 panel?
Is the link between the panels made using FP200?
The distance between the panels is about 200M, will this be a problem?
Once installed will I be able to setup the two panels on-site using an RS232 link to a laptop or do these units contain an EEPROM that needs to be reprogrammed?

The new system is pretty small and just contains 20 sounders and 10 call points.

-Cheers

Okay - is the new system analogue, or conventional?

Your link should ALWAYS be in FP 200 or similar fire resiting cable. It won't comply otherwise, for either system.

As regards connecting to the Notifier (that's a close protocol analogue system) - easiest way is through an IO unit which is connected at the nearest point (loop) to the new system. That should reduce distance for the link too.

I'm guessing your new system may be conventional, in which case, you'll need to use the alarm relay for output, and either a zone for input, unless your new panel has a dedicated input for interlinking.

Notifier, as I say, is a closed protocol system, and you won't be able to program it using a laptop without the right lead and software - and only a certain amount (which doesn't include commissioning) from the keypad.

Hi Scania164,
I think Notfier were in Hove and the last times I had dealings with them they were very helpful.
Would it be worth giving them a call and chatting this through with them?
The issues I have found with fire systems and mixing manufacturers is the liability factor and loss of warranty.
Best wishes
Rex

Hi Scania164,
I think Notfier were in Hove and the last times I had dealings with them they were very helpful.
Would it be worth giving them a call and chatting this through with them?
The issues I have found with fire systems and mixing manufacturers is the liability factor and loss of warranty.
Best wishes
Rex

Notifier is part of Honeywell - Haywards Heath is where the Notifier Tech Support team are - and the best they will do these days is put you in touch with an authorised company, or sell you the training.

The advice they'll give is essentially as I have - which will be generally to use an IO unit off the nearest loop to the "other" system.

With the ID 2000 you *can* use the fire relay on the panel for output, but the problem then is inputting a fire condition from the other panel - you'd need a conventional detector interface or something. There are no inputs on the ID2000 Panel for interlink from another panel. The RS485 Interlink is purely for connecting one Notifier panel to another.

As for liability and warranty issues - I'm not at all sure how you'd come across this issue at all? In what way were you mixing manufacturer products to invoke potential warranty issues? They're generally designed to work with a protocol common to all equipment on it.

And in this case anyway, the only connection would be volt free contacts.

Hi accordfire,
Thanks for the post and very interesting points.
It is some years since I was in contact with Notifier and things have obviously moved on. Did they close the factory in Hove? Wow.
I was sorry to learn about the reduction in service and I suppose this is the sign of the times.
I agree with your other comments and the warranty liability issues mentioned were meant for items used which have not been approved by manufacturers.
Oh well, there we go.
Have a happy new year and best wishes
Rex

Cheers for the advice fellas.
I've used I/Os before but never for connecting different fire alarm systems.
Must admit, I didn't know you could do it that way.
So that I'm clear.
Would I wire the outputs from the I/O into the new panel as a zone?
And then wire an output circuit from the new panel into the inputs on the I/O?

Also, would the Notifier panel accept this automatically or would the panel need reconfiguring?

Cheers for the advice fellas.
I've used I/Os before but never for connecting different fire alarm systems.
Must admit, I didn't know you could do it that way.
So that I'm clear.
Would I wire the outputs from the I/O into the new panel as a zone?
And then wire an output circuit from the new panel into the inputs on the I/O?

Also, would the Notifier panel accept this automatically or would the panel need reconfiguring?

AN IO unit would be seen as a device like any other on the loop, and yes, it would see it as an IO unit, which then needs commissioning with basic cause and effect. You can assign a zone to the output if you wanted, but it's a fairly moot point in an analogue system unless very large.

You simply commission the output of the unit to follow a fire condition, which in turn will activate a zone on the smaller conventional panel. For the return, so to speak, your fire relay on the conventional system is wired to an IO input pair, which is then commissioned to activate a fire condition.

Simples, as the Meerkat say.

Yes, there is a certain amount of Level 3 programming required, for which you *may* need a Notifier technician - as said it is a closed protocol system.

Reply to Linking Notifier ID2000 Fire alarm panels in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net