Discuss Loads on an FCU on a spur in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Brendan Richman

A friend of mine has recently asked me to help him do some work in his house, data cabling etc. and wants to put up a small data cabinet in the cupboard...

The cupboard already has a double socket on a ring mains, and he is looking to connect this to a FCU which leads onto 2x 6-gang extension leads which reside fixed in the data cabinet.

Can these both be connected to the FCU safely at the same time? Basically...

Ring mains (double socket) > FCU spur > 2x 6-gang 13A extension leads.

Thanks in advance! :D

why not plug the extn. leads into the double socket, or fit an additional double alongside, maintaining the ring?

i see. easiest then would be to fit 2 FCUs, 1 lead in each ( i assume you're cutting the plugs off the leads.) check the loads on each lead and fuse accordingly.

Sorry mate is there a reason your mate wants 12 outlet points.

Not really regulation 553.1.6 requires that mobile equipment which I would class an extension leads as one, should be fed from a socket outlet.

Also to be ohnest I think it is bad practice to feed 2 appliances from a FCU also.

Sorry mate is there a reason your mate wants 12 outlet points.

Not really regulation 553.1.6 requires that mobile equipment which I would class an extension leads as one, should be fed from a socket outlet.

Also to be ohnest I think it is bad practice to feed 2 appliances from a FCU also.

Yeah, as there is a lot of equipment in the cab, although it is mostly low voltage stuff so wouldn't have thought it would be too much of a problem.

I agree that a normal extension lead should be plugged into an outlet socket, but it's slightly different, as it is slightly more heavy duty than a normal extension lead. For example 6 Way Vertical Mains Unit Rack Mount IEC PDU 19" 13A | eBay UK which screws into the data cabinet on either sides...not sure if this would make a difference?!

That's the whole point in asking this question - is it safe to run 2 PDU's from a FCU which is from a spur?

i see. easiest then would be to fit 2 FCUs, 1 lead in each ( i assume you're cutting the plugs off the leads.) check the loads on each lead and fuse accordingly.

I did think about doing that - I just thought it'd look better with just the one FCU, but obviously if it's going to be too much trouble then two will obviously be the way forward...but wouldn't that technically be a spur on a spur then? I have heard you can do it with FCU's and not outlets...but I'm not sure to be honest!

each FCU will be fused at a maximum of 13A, so theoretically, with 2 FCU's the most that can be pulled is 26A, which pushing a single of 2.5mm. however, if you maintain the ring through the FCUs, then it's 32A available, so , esp. as the equipment is fairly low current, you will be OK. it is possible to obtain 10A fuses for the FCUs, which if 10A is enough, will then be within the capacity of single 2.5mm.

Last edited:
You could always go for the "non standard" socket

044_1008_EL01_AZ0010_large._1.18.p1_.jpg

Used in many IT environments

or even use one of those outdoor sockets with a padlock facility, so it can be locked on. bit of a bugger to isolate if some equipment catches fire though.

Reply to Loads on an FCU on a spur in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net