Discuss Loft conversion install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve00

Hi Guys,

im looking at getting my loft coverted and before I get a couple of sparks in to quote for the work, I just want to get some advice.

1. Can the new lighting circuit come from the first floor lighting circuit? (6-8 LED 5w gu10 & ensuite fan)
2. Can the new sockets come off the first floor ring? (4 double sockets & shaver socket)
3. I have one free Mcb on my CU, would a separate circuit upto the loft from here need a 2 way CU in the loft?

First floor is on it's own circuit on the CU and the floor area is around 60sqm and loft will be around 30sqm.

Basically it's just so I don't get the wool pulled over my eyes.

cheers in advance.

hmm, just had a quick look back at some of your previous posts.
way back in 2011 you mentioned about becoming a domestic installer. did this never come to fruition then I take it? also, in another topic, you mentioned about a friend you had who was a spark. can he not come and give you advice and a quote to do the works?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not enough info to answer I'm afraid. A spark would need to look at the existing installation and then decide the best way to proceed.

Why would a sparky pull the wool over your eyes???
Last week i was asked to put in a new circuit for a towel rail in a bathroom and a few other little bits,but as soon as i mentioned that the circuit would require rcd protection as its in a bathroom they automatically assumed i was trying to get extra work out of the job.

hmm, just had a quick look back at some of your previous posts.
way back in 2011 you mentioned about becoming a domestic installer. did this never come to fruition then I take it? also, in another topic, you mentioned about a friend you had who was a spark. can he not come and give you advice and a quote to do the works?
I had to put the course on hold due to work commitments and a new baby, I will look into it again next year, funds permitting. Obviously if I would do the work myself otherwise. The guy I knew wasnt the best at all, so I will be steering clear of him.

Why would a sparky pull the wool over your eyes???
Last week i was asked to put in a new circuit for a towel rail in a bathroom and a few other little bits,but as soon as i mentioned that the circuit would require rcd protection as its in a bathroom they automatically assumed i was trying to get extra work out of the job.
Its no disrespect to any of you guys, but there are alot of tradesmen that WILL add to the job for more profit, regardless of trade. So having the basic knowledge helps me to understand the intall.

- - - Updated - - -

Post up your rough location mate, one of us will be close enough to come to your aid.
Thanks mate and I'm based in North Herts (Great Ashby)

Its no disrespect to any of you guys, but there are alot of tradesmen that WILL add to the job for more profit, regardless of trade. So having the basic knowledge helps me to understand the intall.

no disrespect but you shouldnt judge everyone by your own standards

MJD, do you not understand what a forum is, this is a public place for people to ask "professionals" questions regarding anything electrical. *removed*

We're sorry we didn't realise threads were privately owned......... Best off if we all vacate to another "public" thread. Leave you to TROLL!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand that and of course its a good idea to grasp whats to be done as its your home and money.....but you cant expect any definitive answers or advice to the post.
A sparks would need to decide on what is best for your loft by actually looking at what you have already.
If for instance he does advise that a new socket circuit or lighting circuit is required in the loft conversion then maybe there is some logic behind it. By extending the circuits you may be overloading the circuit for instance.
You would be more annoyed if somebody just did it the easiest and cheapest route just to find out a week later that your forever re-setting the mcb or even worst a dangerous installation in your nice new loft conversion.

Wow, electricians can be very rude. Jesus all Im trying to do is get some advice. I understand you lot get asked questions regarding install from people who are looking to do the work themselves, which is a no no. I also understand I can do the work myself if I tap into the ring as it doesnt need to be signed off. I do not want this option as dazza1981 has said, I dont want any issues later on and I will need the BC to be happy with the install. I come on here to ask advice and I get blown out the water, just because I dont sit on here morning, noon and night getting my 'post count' up.

- - - Updated - - -

We're sorry we didn't realise threads were privately owned......... Best off if we all vacate to another "public" thread. Leave you to TROLL!!!
Very professional

wow, this went downhill quickly.
OP- yes, I don't think many of us would disagree that certain tradesmen will add arms+legs onto the job for financial gain, but we are not all like that. I've no idea what you do for a living, but most of us are just like you- just an honest person doing a decent job to pay the bills.
get a few quotes as I said before. once you have them, by all means come on here and tell us what's been advised. if you give us enough info, we can then possibly tell you if we think the advice given to you is sound, or if you are 'having the wool pulled over your eyes'

What gets to me is when people ask you how to do a job when they have no idea because they blatantly want to save money and do it themselves...... but i cant just ring a garage and ask how to to fix my car and where to order the parts can i? I would need to pay a professional and get it booked in.
Im all up for helping where i can and the guys on here have helped me out no end of times on here,but the difference is that being a spark is how i try and support my family and i also spent thousands on college and 5 bloody years as an apprentice doing the crap and tons of exams nvq3 etc.
So i apologise if i cant explain how to wire a house in my spare time and explain what earth fault loop impedance is as i had to work my --- off to know what i know.

Reply to Loft conversion install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net