Discuss Low Energy Internal Light Fittings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dc99

Hello all

I'm confused about Part L and the light fittings required for a domestic loft extension.

I'm aware that a certain number of the fittings need to be low-energy and compliant with Part L in that respect. I can find plenty of information on what a particular lamp needs to be in order to comply in terms of lumens/watt and can see on TLC Direct, etc. plenty of lamps that I could use.

However, my confusion is around the light fittings themselves, which I believe need to be such that they can't have non-compliant lamps inserted. Unfortunately what I cannot find anywhere is the definition of what exactly a compliant light fitting standard is.

So, for example, I can find plenty of compliant LED GU10 lamps, but I'm concerned that if I fit those, the building inspector will fail it because, while the lamps are compliant, I could in theory plug non-compliant GU10 lamps into the fitting (i.e. compliant lamps but non-compliant fittings).

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Thanks
Darren

Up here in Orkney all new builds come with 100% energy efficient lighting to be used. Thank god building inspectors don't know what they are looking at when you have to fit what the customer requests and its not always possible to get low wattage bulbs for the fittings

incandescent.jpg

If you can find any of these wonderful old beasts around then let me know ......................

So as our government has decided that the humble tungstan light bulb is the reason for all our ills, all you can get now is the low wattage ones and so you can fit any type of fitting your heart desires.

So instead of nice bright homes, we now have everyone sitting under lamps that throw out about as much light as a goose fat candle

Thanks all :smiley2:

OK - based on the comments above I went hunting in a few other places. Most of my confusion was due to Approved Document L not giving any specific details at all around lighting, but I did then find a reference to the Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide and I found that here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/domestic_building_compliance_guide_2010.pdf

Section 12 gave everything I needed and confirms what vjsmarwick says - since 2010 it's the lamps that are important, not the fittings.

Hope that helps anyone else who's as confused as I was.

Reply to Low Energy Internal Light Fittings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net