Discuss Conversion of wall light to plug in lamp in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

9rland9

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I have acquired two FOGLIO wall lamps that I want to convert from wall lights into lamps. I'm not familiar with wall lighting so first I wanted to know if this is possible and if there are any risks I should be aware of. Secondly, if it is possible, what would be the best way to go about the conversion and what fitting/components will I need?

I have included images of the lights and the existing wiring for reference.

thanks heaps!

Attachments

• Image-3.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Image.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Image-2.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 8
Electrically, the connections are the same…. Live, earth, neutral… check the manufacturers instructions for colours.

However, these fittings appear to have an open back which would be against the wall.
Portable lamps would need to be enclosed.

The flex supplying the lamp needs to be restrained with a cord grip, and exit the enclosure through a plastic gland or rubber grommet, sized for the flex.

Have a look at other lamps, or other appliances to get an idea of what I mean.

Littlespark has said it all above.
But I will chip in as I have some of those lamps, but they are an earlier version with ses lampholders instead of LED panels.

The lamps are originally supplied with a metal back that fits to the wall for the light to hang on. See pic below.
Do you have this part, as it would make the whole conversion easier?

Otherwise as above you will need to make a cover, as no live parts or single insulated mains wires can be accessible from outside
.IMG_0260.jpeg
(That's a rubber grommet in the middle for the flex)
Also possibly those slots should be covered up, as ingress protection requirements may not be met if you leave them open.

Last edited:

Reply to Conversion of wall light to plug in lamp in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net