Discuss Are wall lamps considered accessories ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was pondering that thoroughly fascinating topic of what defines an electrical accessory as the term is used everywhere.

The best I could come up with was the below but wouldn't that imply wall lamps are not accessories as they consume current. So in turn wouldn't that mean a wall lamp does not define a safe zone on a wall. But isn't that bonkers as they clearly are likely to have a cable running to them?

An accessory is defined in Part 2 of BS 7671 as: ‘a device, other than current-using equipment, associated with such equipment or with the wiring of an installation.’
An accessory, therefore, does not require current to function. Examples of accessories are commonplace and include amongst others:

I would say anything attached to the fixed wiring of an installation is an accessory. So hard wired light fittings fall in to that area.

Loads fed from an accessory by some flexible cable I would say are "appliances" so cooker from outlet plate* comes under that, pendant light from the ceiling rose, immersion heater off isolation switch, etc.

[*] yes often from 6mm T&E which is not really flexible, though often the manufacturer says heat tolerant flex.

Last edited:
As above I would class a light fitting of any kind as an accessory because it's basically a socket that a lamp/bulb gets plugged into. I guess nowadays there might be a gray area with those disposable type light fittings that have an integral bulb that is soldered or hard wired in and can't be replaced.

This whole debate becomes null and void if one actually reads the regulation 522.6.202, and the associated definitions.
The reg refers to a "point, accessory, or switchgear".
The definition of a point is "a termination of the fixed wiring intended for the connection of current-using equipment".

Edit: (might have been too hasty, waits for barrage of disparaging comments and counter arguments)....

Last edited:

Reply to Are wall lamps considered accessories ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net