Discuss Lowering existing electrical socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

diynot

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi. Just wanting to lower the height of this double socket. Just curious to know why one of the earth's has been cut. Is it Ok when lowering the socket and using a new plastic double socket to copy this exactly? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220730_111058.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220730_111057.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 52
That circuit needs investigation
the earth should be a continuous ring with no breaks in it.
this needs to be tested to ensure there are no other faults in it.

Looks to me like UNG suggests.
The left hand cpc goes over to the right with a short piece of sleeving. Both are then twisted together, and use the same sleeving up to socket.
You can see two cores twisted together at the terminal.

When you re terminate lower, you should have the docs in separate sleeving, and not twisted at all.

When you re terminate lower, you should have the docs in separate sleeving, and not twisted at all.
I think that was auto-correct from "When you re terminate lower, you should have the CPC in separate sleeving, and not twisted at all"

Twisting and sleeving both are commonly seen but now considered bad practice. It becomes a problem for future work as you can't easily separate them if trying to locate a fault in a segment of cable, and repeated twisting / untwisting risks fatiguing the copper and it breaking.

English lessons from a dundonian??
Cheers PC… it was autocorrect.

When we lived there, my wife once commented on a takeaway that had lost letters off its sign… so it read “TAK AWA”

One of her friends convinced her it was spelled that way, because of how it’s pronounced in Dundee.

It had just lost its letters.

Of course. It hasn't been cut at all. Thanks heaps for all your replies. At the moment it is about 1 foot away from the kitchen taps! I simply want to lower it underneath a new worktop and plug in a dishwasher.

Electrical sockets or switches should be fitted at a safe distance (it is recommended at least 30cm horizontally) from a sink to avoid the chance of water coming into contact with electricity. Sockets should also be easily accessible. If appliances such as fridges, dishwashers, and washing machines are fitted under worktops, getting to sockets may be difficult. Ideally, these appliances should be controlled by a switched fuse connection unit mounted above the worktop where you can reach it easily. FCU above with Socket below the countertop.

Electrical sockets or switches should be fitted at a safe distance (it is recommended at least 30cm horizontally) from a sink to avoid the chance of water coming into contact with electricity. Sockets should also be easily accessible. If appliances such as fridges, dishwashers, and washing machines are fitted under worktops, getting to sockets may be difficult. Ideally, these appliances should be controlled by a switched fuse connection unit mounted above the worktop where you can reach it easily. FCU above with Socket below the countertop.
Ok. Thank you. Very much appreciated.

Looks to me like UNG suggests.
The left hand cpc goes over to the right with a short piece of sleeving. Both are then twisted together, and use the same sleeving up to socket.
You can see two cores twisted together at the terminal.

Ok thanks. Seperate sleeving is easy, don't know why this wasn't done years ago when originally fixed. Thanks.

Ok thanks. Seperate sleeving is easy, don't know why this wasn't done years ago when originally fixed. Thanks.
Because the integrity of the earth wire is the most important of all, and when the installation was done, twisting the wires together was seen as a better way of ensuring this than relying on a terminal clamp in the fitting.
There was no requirement back then for a lot of the testing that is required now.

Because the integrity of the earth wire is the most important of all, and when the installation was done, twisting the wires together was seen as a better way of ensuring this than relying on a terminal clamp in the fitting.
There was no requirement back then for a lot of the testing that is required now.
Right, thanks for the explanation.

Reply to Lowering existing electrical socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net