Discuss Main cut out fuse- rewireable?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Luke Linnett

Hello, I installed a new distribution
Board at a house today and i found that the main supply cut out was a rewireable fuse. I think the fuse wire was bigger than 30 amp fuse wire but cant be sure what size it was because it had no label on it. Will this be a failure when it comes to testing? Will the head need upgrading? Thanks in advance for any help.

Like PC said it will more than likely be 60 amps. I'd echo his question as to how and what it could fail but rather than ask on here why did you not ascertain the information from the DNO mate. If there;s any doubt as to what is installed they are another resource you can use

If it looks like a larger fuse wire then probably 60A but I have seen a bit of 1.5mm bare copper across it last time I had it I was giving someone a hand and there was no seal on the fuse so I said check it and he said why it says 60A on it well he checked it and there was a bit o 2.5mm copper
on it

Thanks for your help, its just that i had never seen a rewireable main cut out fuse and was expecting a bs 88. I thought rewireable fuses were a fail because of the disconnection times, appologies for my lack of knowledge.

Thanks for your help, its just that i had never seen a rewireable main cut out fuse and was expecting a bs 88. I thought rewireable fuses were a fail because of the disconnection times, appologies for my lack of knowledge.

What do you think you mean by "fail disconnection times"?
BS3036 fuses are perfectly capable of meeting the disconnection time requirements, but to do so they need higher fault currents than fuses or mcbs. That's why we apply a 0.725 factor to cable ccc and why 2.5 t&e with 1mm cpc does not comply on a 3036 (the 1mm cpc does not meet the requirements of the adiabatic). Also the max Zs's are lower to keep fault currents up.

Instead of arseing around trying to find out what fuse wire has been installed. Contact your DNO and get them to replace this old cut-out, they have long passed there sell-by date... lol!! As far as i know, they are supposed to be replacing these old cut-outs, ...there is even i think, some sort of a achievement date when all such cut-out should have been replaced!! How true that is i don't know!! ...lol!!

all that aside did you check for ASBESTOS before pulling ? it would be probable that given age there may have been asbestos flash wadding there at some point in time

Why are you pulling the service fuse anyway there would have been hell to pay if anything had gone wrong whilst you were doing it.

Why are you pulling the service fuse anyway there would have been hell to pay if anything had gone wrong whilst you were doing it.
That was going to be my question BUT iv given up asking that question as a lot of answers will be along the lines " To issolate the consumer unit" " to find the value of the fuse" " ect ect ect ect ect

Reply to Main cut out fuse- rewireable?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net