Discuss Max allowed on 60amp incomer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rayelect

My cleint has a small holiday lodge and wanting to remove hot water cylinder and night storage heaters and replace with instanious water heater and panel heaters. As he is only in lodge a day here and there.
The plan is to replace old fuse box with new 17th ed consumer unit. Which will include a 9.5kw shower 4.5 kw for panel heaters, 5.5kw kitchen sink dafi instant water heater and a 4.5kw basin dafi instant water heater. Also original single ring main and single lighting circut.Cooker on gas. Had electrician out to quote and was unsure about load on 60amp main incomer. Have not heard back yet? Will this be too much for the incomer, if so what is the max I could use? I wanted to start today but can't order anything until i have a design plan. Any help would b emuch appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Had electrician out to quote and was unsure about load on 60amp main incomer. Have not heard back yet?

A little bit puzzled by your post (and earlier posts). Are you expecting another sparky to do the design and specificy all the parts so you can then "steal" their work?

If you're planning on doing the install then you should be able to calculate the load.

Im pretty sure I've seen in a table somwhere that anything over a 7KW shower is not recomended. Infact it gives 9.5KW as being the maximum shower rating for an 80A fuse/and or CU isolator. This is bassed on a standard dwelling though, so not sure how a holiday lodge would be classed.

get the numpty to have a power shower, then do a load calculation.

All the other posts indicate you doing work yourself and ask some pretty basic questions mate. Are you a DIYer who's reach exceeds his grasp? Because I think you're out of your depth here.
Get a suitably qualified electrician to quote on the work for you. He/she will design the circuits around what is available and advise accordingly

Also confused by this. Sounds in some parts of your post like you're the client, then in other parts like you're the electrician.
If you're the electrician, what did the other electrician come out to quote?

I am not doing the work I am a plumber but do have some basic electrical knowlage. I get contractors to do the electrical that is full scope part P and notifyable. I have had someone look at doing the job he is elecsa and is going to "see if his part p provider tech guy have a way round this" and though I could get some advice here aswell as I have not got a reply from him. ? The problem is I need to order materials, shower etc...

So why not contact your electrician to see if he has an answer from his "part p provider tech guy"
It's what I'd do in your position

A little bit puzzled by your post (and earlier posts). Are you expecting another sparky to do the design and specificy all the parts so you can then "steal" their work?

If you're planning on doing the install then you should be able to calculate the load.

Steal their work.. I am trying to give an electricain work. !!

Which will include a 9.5kw shower 4.5 kw for panel heaters, 5.5kw kitchen sink dafi instant water heater and a 4.5kw basin dafi instant water heater. Also original single ring main and single lighting circut.Cooker on gas. Had electrician out to quote and was unsure about load on 60amp main incomer.
He shouldn't have been unsure IMHO.

Kevin (electrician )said : including diversity still too high. Will have to get supplier increase 60amp incomer or if cable not big enough then no!..
Plan now is 10kw instant water heater to do all water. 4.5kw space heating, 20amp ring main, 6amp lights. This he said will bring it under 60amps..what do you think.

"I am a plumber but do have some basic electrical knowlage"

I think this explains all.

Put this on the other foot.
If your sparky asked for some advice on plumbing. You told him that what he was suggesting would not work and could even be considered dangerous, then he ignored it. What would you think of him?

well he was unsure.. and was wanted to check with his tec provider.

Well he was unsure, then he said..

Kevin (electrician )said : including diversity still too high. Will have to get supplier increase 60amp incomer or if cable not big enough then no!..
Plan now is 10kw instant water heater to do all water. 4.5kw space heating, 20amp ring main, 6amp lights. This he said will bring it under 60amps..what do you think.

So is he now sure or still dithering?

"I am a plumber but do have some basic electrical knowlage"

I think this explains all.

Put this on the other foot.
If your sparky asked for some advice on plumbing. You told him that what he was suggesting would not work and could even be considered dangerous, then he ignored it. What would you think of him?

?? I am not ignoring his advice. He had not got back with any advice before I asked the equestion on the forum. Advice is why I am on this forum.

If I were to ask your advice on a plumbing related matter then went to an internet forum saying "My plumber said xxxxx what do you think guys" how would you feel if you found out about it?
I'm all for getting a few quotes but this strikes me as underhand Ray.

The first quote I got the electrician said "yeh no probs", The second electrician said "it may not be possible as too much load". So I asked the forum but not much help here. Luckily the second electrician made more sense and changing the design. Maybe it is underhanded to second guess a quote but I rather be sure and it safe than polite.

Reply to Max allowed on 60amp incomer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net