Discuss Minor Works Certificate in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elementps

Hi All,

Just want to run something by you, have been asked to complete a job which consists of like for like replacement of various lights fixtures and fittings. Basically they are replacing old lights with led and low energy etc.

Client has requested a minor works cert on completion, this is a commercial environment and i am only registered domestic installer (yes let the 5DW abuse start, however I am putting myself through my 2357 at present so doing it the right way now).

Now as far as I am aware if changing lfl no certification is required, however could quote a zs reading just to show that it is within limits for MCB. (I was told this by NICEIC TechLine). As mentioned above customer is requesting certificate on completion, should I just fill out a minor works and only state zs reading along with statement that fixtures were only changed lfl or do i need to test the whole circuit?

I am planing on using the Green NICEIC certs, these are for unregistered?

Many Thanks

All electrical work should have a certificate, though I do not usually do one for maintenance jobs.
If the customer has asked for a certificate then you should do the appropriate tests and supply a certificate (and price the job accordingly). There are not too many tests required for a MEWIC.

I would prob ask the customer whether he is wanting a full test of the circuit or just a zs and price accordingly. Just make sure too that he's not required to have a niceic cert for insurance purposes before you start. Although we know its like for like he seems to know what he wants so ask him

Remember on a MEIWC you are only obliged to Carry out

"Appropriate inspection and testing, however, should be carried out irrespective of the extent of the work"

As this is really a like for like replacement I would only carry out the tests that was felt relevant.

When you looked at the job or was asked to do the job, did you not account time for filling out a MWC?
The customer gets what the customer wants in my eyes.

You can use whatever colour or branded minor works certificates, as long as they are in keeping with the current regs at the time of work, you can photocopy the model form out of the regs book if you like.

There is an editable PDF one on this forum.

Here it is.
View attachment 11061

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, im assuming minor works tests are same as domestic, R1+R2, IR, Zs? Check earth and bonding?
Not sure how they will be about isolating the board to carry out tests, but will present the options and see what they say?

Thanks guys, im assuming minor works tests are same as domestic, R1+R2, IR, Zs? Check earth and bonding?
Not sure how they will be about isolating the board to carry out tests, but will present the options and see what they say?

Read my post and Murdoch post you only need to carry out appropriate tests, so for a like for like replacement personally I would do the Zs test, if the circuit was RCD protected, then all I would put is 1667 for that and just test the operating times.

I would not bother with the IR test and polarity is just a check. As for the earthing and bonding asked for again if there is no bonding just state it, or you can just put in that section the extent of work done, ie like for like replacement of light fittings.

Last edited:

Reply to Minor Works Certificate in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net