Discuss Minor works or full EIC? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jeremy Martin

Hello, I have to install additional sockets to an existing ring circuit and change some singles to doubles, one in a kitchen.

I believe the added sockets should not be notifiable but the one in the kitchen mean that it is notifiable?

As the fuses are old rewireable ones, and no rcd exists on the premises, I will install an enclosure with an rcd and 32A mcb in to protect the ring cct. only.

Could someone tell me if I would need to complete a minor works cert. or would this work require a full electrical installation certificate?

Background info:
Only one ring cct for the whole house
Client does NOTwant to replace the consumer unit
old colours including the solid green earth sleeve (not green/yellow)
1mm cpc in old T+E cables

Hello, I have to install additional sockets to an existing ring circuit and change some singles to doubles, one in a kitchen.

I believe the added sockets should not be notifiable but the one in the kitchen mean that it is notifiable?

As the fuses are old rewireable ones, and no rcd exists on the premises, I will install an enclosure with an rcd and 32A mcb in to protect the ring cct. only.

Could someone tell me if I would need to complete a minor works cert. or would this work require a full electrical installation certificate?

Background info:
Only one ring cct for the whole house
Client does NOTwant to replace the consumer unit
old colours including the solid green earth sleeve (not green/yellow)
1mm cpc in old T+E cables

Hello Jeremy.

You are correct the new sockets arent notifiable unless they are in a special location. The change from single to double in the kitchen isnt either, as you are not extending etc, you are just replacing existing.
You are right to retrofit RCD protection to the circuit you are working on, this ensure compliance, even though it isnt notifiable it still must comply with Part P.

I would do an EIC for the work because you have changed the circuit protection characteristics.
You will need to fit the appropriate warning labels on the CU, for mixed colour wiring and RCD test frequency.

There is nothing wrong with the old wiring and earth as long it tests out OK. the wiring regs are not retrospective, so as long as it meets the regs for when it was installed that is fine. Your new bit must be up to current requirements though, and you seem to have got it covered.

Cheers........Howard

Dear SirKit
Not everyday you receive correspondance from nobility!
Thanks for your valued help with this. I guessed much the same and it's good to get it from someone more knowlegeable.

best wishes,
Jeremy

Dear SirKit
Not everyday you receive correspondance from nobility!
Thanks for your valued help with this. I guessed much the same and it's good to get it from someone more knowlegeable.

best wishes,
Jeremy

No worries mate happy to help. No need to bow or curtsy either, its only SirKit cos i cant spell "circiut".:D

Cheers........Howard

Reply to Minor works or full EIC? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net