Discuss Missing neutral at socket - electrician required - North East in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ritch_b

Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place or isn't quite the done thing.

One of my kitchen sockets has given up the ghost; it's showing a neutral fault when I connect my (bog-basic) socket tester into it.

After knocking off the power at the mains, I've dropped the socket off and checked the connections; all are fine. I've also replaced the socket with a new one, but the fault remains.

The only other information I have is that I believe there's a spur from the faulty socket that's used to power the cooker hood; this shows the same neutral fault. The original socket itself however only has two sets of wires going to it, so I'm wondering if that could be a spur in itself, meaning that the cooker hood is connected to a spur from a spur. There is a working socket nearby (opposite side of a stud wall) that has three sets of wires going to it, so I assume this could be the source of the spur, but all are connected fine and I've also replaced this socket.

That's the extent of my knowledge reached and I was looking to see if there was anyone around my area (Yarm/Middlesbrough/Stockton) who I could get in to take a professional look, as I'm not comfortable with doing any more than I already have!

Thanks in advance,

Ritch

sounds like the cable from the working socket to the faulty one is down. several members in your area. someone will soon respond, no doubt, once the friday night hangover has become manageable.

That's the extent of my knowledge reached and I was looking to see if there was anyone around my area (Yarm/Middlesbrough/Stockton) who I could get in to take a professional look, as I'm not comfortable with doing any more than I already have!

Thanks in advance,

Ritch

It's good to see someone come on here freely admitting they have reached the extent of their knowledge and looking to find a professional to come and have a look, with a view in mind to sorting his problem out!!

It's good to see someone come on here freely admitting they have reached the extent of their knowledge and looking to find a professional to come and have a look, with a view in mind to sorting his problem out!!

Agreed, Its a rare one, good luck Ritch Im sure you will get it sorted.

right...
find out which circuit feeds the socket.
once you have identified the fuse/breaker feeding it then isolate all the others. leave the circuit on with the dropped neutral.
go round with this `plug in tester`.....check all points served see where the fault clears....chances are it will be a loose connection behind one of those fronts....
and if you do attempt to reterminate...then leave the plug in tester plugged into the socket you intend to work on....and isolate the supply to it (fuse/breaker)...make sure theres no power going to the socket...
but i`d much rather you got an electrician in....plenty in here near to you i suspect...

OOhh Yarm I used to go clubbing there.............Is Tall Trees still on the go?

I think Trev is from your neck of the woods but I may be wrong, send him a PM.

Well done for your attitude towards your skills and capability you are 1 of the minority unfortunately

Ha ha, no tall trees is **** down now, remember it used to be pay on the door drink all you want. Pm me bud if you can't find anyone closer I'm Newcastle bid

Reply to Missing neutral at socket - electrician required - North East in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net