Discuss moving CU position - advice please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lloyd1980

Hi everyone.

Would just like some advice before I ring the NIC.
Got a customer who has come up with a hair brained idea and Im wondering the best course of action.
He lives in the sticks with no earth provided by supply auth, no rod either, overhead supply.
he has added and tinkered, there are sockets at 45 degrees on the wall with twin and earth hanging everywhere.
his kitchen contains (no joke) 62 downlights in the cieling and its a standard size,
The place is an electrical mess.
Now he wants me to rewire it - fine
he wants to do it in 3 stages?????? - fine
he also wants to move the CU position from where it is now to the center of the house which is about 25 meters away.????
He also thinks it is going to take only a day to do this!!!!
my problem is this, once ive extended the tails via a henley block and have run in 25 meters of 25mm sq tails and 16mm sq earth how do I give the tails some sort of mechanical protection as they will be under the floorboards??
do I run it in armoured? Thats a pretty fat armoured???
metal trunking??
never been asked to do this before so any input from everyone would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

(im not looking forward to the rats nest of cable I will have to figure out when I come to move the mains either but there we go ) !!

Armoured is an option, or steel plate over the top the top of the joists if you notch them, or a 32mm galv coupler to sleeve a 32mm drilled hole through the joist (if the joist big enough)

Surface mounted around perimeter of rooms and boxed in/trunking.

If the joists aint big enough to be drilled to 35mil, is there a subtended floor and if so, could 35mil galv be saddled into the bottom of the joists underground?

I think that armoured would be the best option.

The impression i'm getting is the place is a riot and I believe the guy will want his rewire "unseen" and no surface trunking. If this is so you need to have a word with your client about his expectations in terms of the time he's laying aside for the job, 1 day?????

Hi.

First, sometimes the role of the electrician is to protect the client from themselves. What is the estimate of say, running armoured from the current CU position to the proposed one? The cost might well kill the idea.

If the client still wants to proceed, agree in writing every aspect fo the route especially where surface mounted materials or conduit is contemplated.

Assess the motives of the client. Is a three stage job due to lack of finance or the inability to face massive disturbance? If the former priotect yourself by asking for an advance.

Good luck

Reply to moving CU position - advice please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net