Discuss My main fuse box is right behind my front door in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I've just moved to a ground floor flat and my mains fuse box/circuit breaker box, which ever it's called, is right behind my front door at the top. I moved into the property as it is supposed to be adapted for disabled access as I have a medical condition but the wiring was done before I got the property and the front door won't open past 45 degrees which is a struggle on crutches and every time the door hits the box and bounces back. I've had numerous people tell me it shouldn't be like it and when I have contacted my landlord I get told they have 10 working days to reply. I've been here 5 weeks and nothing has been done as the surveyor hasn't called me back. Is there anything I can do to make then fix it such as regulations and requirements. Thanks for any replies.

Hi Jessica, welcome to the forums.

The consumer unit should be positioned so it's not likely to get damaged by doors etc. In terms of specific adaptations, if it's an existing property it doesn't have to comply with the parts of the building regulations that define accessibility, it just has to be 'no worse' than it was before.

Hi,was the door opening to 45 degrees,when you agreed to take on the property? The terms and arrangements of the agreement,mean it either does not matter,or it is a gross breach...the aforementioned determines ,which.

It obviously,is completely wrong,but i have seen properties where if the paperboy leaves one of a pair of porch doors,ajar,the front door will not open...and the rear door has to be used...

Or,a judiciously placed cat-flap,may cure your problem;)

It doesn't matter that it's an electrical item blocking the doorway and it doesn't matter that it's supposedly altered for disabled access.

There should be proper access both in and more importantly out of the building in the event of an emergency.
Building regs state 775 mm clearance is the minimum wide required through a doorway.
You probably need Environmental health to get involved as they can issue enforcement notices but for a start ring Citizens Advice and explain you are concerned about access.

Last edited:
Hi Jessica - welcome to the Forum! Sorry to hear that you're on crutches and that your front door won't open properly. It is certainly possible for the fuse board to be moved out of the door way and to a more accessible location. Your local Council may be worth an online visit to find the contact for Health and Social Care who may be able to help (talking with Landlord, applying for a grant etc).

Wilko thanks and it can easily be moved, you can see where it was previously which completely out of the way so I don't understand why it was put there.
Peg the electrics weren't complete when I accepted the property and I stated to them and gave them written confirmation from my doctor that I use crutches and occasionally a wheelchair so it needs to accessible in both of those circumstances, I've spoke to them just now apparently the builder/electrician wasn't informed of this.
Buzzlightyear the property is housing association.
Midwest the property has already been adapted for disabled, my landlord confirmed this when I had my first viewing, I think there was lack of communication.
Sparkychick it is definitely worse than it was before you can see where the old unit used to be and it's out of the way. And from where I've forgotten or people have been here and didn't know and tried to open the door fully and it has banged off the unit, the door did hit the gas man in the head and the top hinge is either coming loose or the frame is damaged.

After I've spoken to them again today they've told me the surveyor has already passed this to a sub contractor who is supposed to be phoning me today to arranged when they can come out and fix it, whether they do is a different kettle of fish, thanks for all your replies.

I'm not to up on building regs with regard to adaptation for second party disability use. If it were a new build Part M applies (England & Wales); refurbishing my old existing property, most of it would not. If a building is being modified for person(s) with disabilities, it would seem that Part M would be a document to follow; whether the developer has to follow all of that document, is the question?

Perhaps ask your local building control.

The CU may have been moved to comply with Doc M even if it isn't obligatory, a housing association would probably want to meet current standards, especially for residents with restricted mobility.

Doc M,Vol 1 states in several places -
Consumer units are mounted so that the switches are between 1350mm and 1450mm above floor level.

Sounds like a lack of joined-up thinking, the same regs go into great detail about door openings, looks like fixing one compliance issue has created another.

Approved Document M: Volume 1 - Dwellings | Part M - Access to and use of buildings | Planning Portal - https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200135/approved_documents/80/part_m_-_access_to_and_use_of_buildings

Reply to My main fuse box is right behind my front door in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net