Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss N.I.E prices in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
my electric bill says 14 pence per unit , i think 1 unit = 1kwh .to myself that means for every 4 amps per hour equals 14 pence am i right or on plannet mars... cheers for your knowledge,

I do believe some supply authorities will provide a digital power consumption unit that gives real time and average usage of your electrical consumption. They are wire free battery operated with clamp unit on the phase tail. Could be worth enquiring.

Just thinking back to college lessons, there's true power and apparent power which vary! Will have to get my notes out when fuz clears from the Xmas feasts! Not sure it's as variable with domestic supplys compared to some industrial premesis!

So there is 4 amps in 1 kwh??

You have to be a bit careful as you are mixing units.

As malcolm says an appliance with a power rating of 1kW will draw a current of just over 4 amps if it is operating at a potential of 230V, but you have said 1 kWh! A kilowatt hour is an amount of energy - A current of 4.35A at 230V switched on for an hour will use 1 kWh of energy.

TBH the two things, amps and kWh are not directly comparable, it's a bit like asking how many miles are in 30 miles per hour:)

As malcolm says an appliance with a power rating of 1kW will draw a current of just over 4 amps if it is operating at a potential of 230V, but you have said 1 kWh! A kilowatt hour is an amount of energy - A current of 4.35A at 230V switched on for an hour will use 1 kWh of energy.

TBH the two things, amps and kWh are not directly comparable, it's a bit like asking how many miles are in 30 miles per hour:)

Point taken!!!!!!

Well I got a power consumption device for crimbo, cost, power, carbon produced etc, and since 5:30 yesterday morning I've used £2.35!

My costs are 12.04p per unit & a standing charge of 13.44p per day.

Well I got a power consumption device for crimbo, cost, power, carbon produced etc, and since 5:30 yesterday morning I've used £2.35!

My costs are 12.04p per unit & a standing charge of 13.44p per day.

Better than a pair of slippers/socks. I thought I would get everone in the fmaily back by bringing back from Saudi an alarm clock that not only wakes you in the morning but is programmed to give you the 5 prayer calls during the day ...............all in the call to prayer, I'm wondering how long they will keep them;)

So should we start on boxing day a list of the useless presents we got!!, perhaps another thread Mods.

i,ve hung a clamp meter on mine. if it goes into double figures , i turn things off

Well there is not much different when it comes to metering side of things.

By the way i've been working in the UK for the past six years.

Thanks for your WARM WELCOME !!!!!!!!

Hi there sorry for being a bit stupid but if i am running a dehumidifier at 570 watts for an hour do you no how much that will cost me for the hour on NIE thanks davy

Hi there sorry for being a bit stupid but if i am running a dehumidifier at 570 watts for an hour do you no how much that will cost me for the hour on NIE thanks davy

kWh is a unit of energy -you pay per unit of energy (units of energy vary in price depending on your provider)

570watts = 0.57kW

kWh = kW x hours, so 0.57kW x 1h = 0.57 kWh or units

If you are paying say14p per unit then your dehumidifier is costing you just over 7p per hour.
Hope that helps :)

kWh is a unit of energy -you pay per unit of energy (units of energy vary in price depending on your provider)

570watts = 0.57kW

kWh = kW x hours, so 0.57kW x 1h = 0.57 kWh or units

If you are paying say14p per unit then your dehumidifier is costing you just over 7p per hour.
Hope that helps :)

Thanks very usefull :wacko:

I also had one of the Owl monitors connected to my home supply also for a while. As a unit they work very well, they're pretty user friendly, very easy to install etc. I actually wanted the Google unit but the Owl one was a lot cheaper where I am. It was wireless and linked to the computer to give consumption graphs etc. I was hoping to interest the 2 kids in it and ultimately get them saving power by switching off lights, ceiling fans and airconditioners when the left a room. It as an abstract failure in this respect, they ended up having competitions running around the house switching everything on to see who could get the biggest spike on the chart. I had a minor hissy fit and ripped it out eventually, it was depressing me.

Yep! Sounds like exactly the sort of thing my kids would do as well!!!

Reply to N.I.E prices in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net