Discuss New light fittings? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

skiandy

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

This maybe a silly question, but do you need to add an rcd/rcbo to the consumer unit if you change a light fitting now?

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

ian.settle1

-
Mentor
Arms
As we are now working to the 17th edition, my answer is yes if the cables are not protected by earthed metal protection and is less than 50mm deep.

Others may have a different view.

S

skiandy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmm, even when replacing like with like? I know what the 17th says but I think that its going to be a hard sell, especially if the customer has an old board with wire or no din mounted breakers. I don't understand how its possible to compete with the "cowboys" now. I was hoping I had missed something....

A

aaronstuart

I was under the impression that if changing like for like you don't have to, and you don't have to certify it.....however I do as was told was good practice too,

P

PAUL M

isnt like for like swop classed as maintenance?

My understanding of the 17th is...... if the building was designed to a previous edition then only the addition that you install needs to be to the 17th. So if you dont alter any cables then they dont need 30mA protection.

Even if you change a single light fitting in say a bedroom to 4 x spotlights BUT you use the existing switch drop then No 30mA protection is required

Lets hope Shakey agrees with me!

Mark

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to New light fittings? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom