Discuss new lights left a hole in the ceiling - what to do to close it? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andekoch

Every now and again when I replace a light fitting (generally in an older house where there are no ceiling roses) with a new one the hole cut in the ceiling (usually lathe and plaster) is bigger than the overall size of the new fitting that is being put up which leaves a gap (not good for sound or fire protection) not to mention leaving cables exposed.

I was wondering what you guys do to close up the excess hole and leave thew cables protected.

I seem to vary from calking up the excess and then fitting the light to making up a piece of ply (or plasterboard) with an appropriate hole and fixing that over the old large hole and then the new light to the ply (or plasterboard).

For now lets assume the obvious that there is no access from above.

cheers

Cut a piece of p/board oval or rectangular shaped with the narrow measurement a tight fit in the hole. Drill a hole in the center for the cables and a piece of cord tied to a piece of stick above the p/board and bridging the cable hole. Now feed the piece of P/board up through the ceiling hole and as it will now bridge the hole in the ceiling, you can pull down on the string and fill the ceiling hole with plaster or polyfiller type stuff

Reply to new lights left a hole in the ceiling - what to do to close it? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi guys, I have recently encountered that my circuit breaker for the upstairs lights keeps tripping. I flick it back on and immediately it trips...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician and have very basic knowledge of electrical installation. We've been putting in a new kitchen into an...
Replies
Views
I posted last week regarding a lighting cable being too short in the wall to reach my new light fittings.this is still annoying me lol, I will try...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I have a few issues: - I bought an LED spotlight which is 50w (Input power 7.8w) 240v, but it flickers when I turn the lights on. There...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone. So I am replacing an old ceiling light fitting in my bedrooom. There are only 2 wires coming from the ceiling and the new light...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock