Search the forum,

Discuss New member looking for some advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi my name is Adam and am 33 years old and currently a mechanic for VW, but for the past year or so I have wanted to retrain and become a fully qualified electrician, so I have done some research and found there are 3 routes for me to take, 1st is the train centres which by the sound of it are just a waste of money, then there is the local colleges and mature apprenticeship. My question is which route would you suggest? The level 2 course at my local college is £100 and increases a fair bit for level 3 city and guilds, what are my chances of actually getting an apprenticeship at my age I know most will be offered to school leavers, so am I better starting my training at my own cost or try for an apprenticeship?
Sorry for the long post.

Many tanks in advance

Welcome and good luck Mate, I don't know much about today's training requirements, but I'm sure someone will be along to offer you some help.

Hi Millhouse, welcome to the forum :)
I have relocated your thread into the appropriate section, the new members area is just for the hello's really and given the question you are asking it will be easier for members to locate it in future if need be if we have it in the correct section.

Well I’m a little concerned how little you get paid as an apprentice but I could get a second job to increase my earning, either way I would need to change jobs as college is 2 days a week, would I be able to get some sort of job role that would lead me down the electrician path whilst starting my level 2?

some colleges do level 2 and level 3 , 2 evenings a week. work full time and self-fund the course.

There is a local college that offers 3 courses for evenings, they are C&G 2397 Install, Test & Ensure Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings, C&G 2382-12 17th Edition IEE Regs Amendment 1 and C&G 2395 Periodic Inspection Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations. Which one if any would you say is the one to start with?

what you need is c&g 2365 2 and 3. the 2382 you will need also, but that can be done alongside. it's just the wiring regs, soon to become 18th edition.

I had a feeling that was the case, that means I’m stuck with day time courses part time, I could try and get an evening/night job somewhere like Tesco they pay reasonable rates so I would then have daytime to revise/perhaps do the 2382 alongside, soon to be 18th? Would it be a waste of time doing a 17th edition course as I imagine I would have to do the 18th anyway so would be wasting time and money on the 17th edition?

Hi my name is Adam and am 33 years old and currently a mechanic for VW, but for the past year or so I have wanted to retrain and become a fully qualified electrician, so I have done some research and found there are 3 routes for me to take, 1st is the train centres which by the sound of it are just a waste of money, then there is the local colleges and mature apprenticeship. My question is which route would you suggest? The level 2 course at my local college is £100 and increases a fair bit for level 3 city and guilds, what are my chances of actually getting an apprenticeship at my age I know most will be offered to school leavers, so am I better starting my training at my own cost or try for an apprenticeship?
Sorry for the long post.
Hi Millhouse, I know it's early days, just wondering if you have had any news/luck, keep the forum posted Mate.
advance

Hi Millhouse, I know it's early days, just wondering if you have had any news/luck, keep the forum posted Mate.

Reply to New member looking for some advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net