Discuss New project in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Voltimax

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all,

With all this talk of estimating sheets and software I have decided to continue a project I started and then gave up on awhile back.

Here's the project:
An Excel worksheet for estimating Domestic electrical work. I know what you're going to say "there's loads of them around that others have made". I know this and I have seen a number of them. I have one of my own available for download at another forum.
This one will/is be different (it's already made but needs much work and your input)

The worksheet has several sheets and they are all linked.
First page is a summary sheet. It has boxes to enter customer details, estimate reference etc.
It also has boxes for length of cable run for sockets, 4mm ring or 2.5mm ring. Length of cooker cable. Length of oval conduit drops. Chased or surface etc etc

The second page is a list of common points such as:
Twin socket
Pendant
Cooker control unit
Consumer unit, you get the idea

The third page is a list of common materials, cable, wiring accessories, oval, capping, con units etc. Complete with cost price and individual install times taken from spons/Luckins.

Now the magic. When you enter quantities of points in the second page the quantities of materials automatically fill themselves in depending on what values you entered into the first page. This saves you forgetting to add materials when the job is quite sizable. Good eh?

I can also include a pre-written estimate offer letter linked to the other sheets so it automatically fills in as you prepare the estimate.
I can also make it so you can use individual times per item or if preferred times per point i.e. 1 hour per point or 1.5 hours per point all at the click of a selection box.

Sometimes you'll get a job where the client wants a few face plates changing so they're not complete points and you only want the price for a face plate on it's own. Easily catered for as there will be a separate column on the materials price to add them to your estimate separately.

So, what do you think? Are you able to give some input? If so please post your ideas on this thread.
The type of help I'm after is common points you install. Double sockets, single sockets, pendant etc maybe some that aren't so regularly used, post em here.
Also what items make up your points? For example:
Double socket
10mtr 2.5mm 6242Y
1 x 2gang 25mm KO box
2mtrs 25mm oval conduit
1 x double socket

Other items could be inline extractor fan. What items would make up this point?
You get the idea. You tell me and I'll include them.
Anyone that is willing to help will get copies first to try out, can't say any fairer than that.

This thread will be duplicated at another forum.
I look forward to your input.

that sounds good
did it take you long to compile this form and have you got much in the way of computer skill to be able to write this spreed sheet

Hello voltimax,sounds interesting,hope i can help.

Could you send me the link to download your other sheet so i can have a look?
[email protected].

What about the Main bonding (10mm),supplemantary bonding(4mm),earth clamps,10mm lugs,4mm lugs.

Aerial points,sky points and telephone points.

Shaver socket.

Outside lights,outside socket(rcd protected)

Rcd's vs RCBO's.

There's just a few to get you started.

Best of luck and keep me posted.

p.s. do i qualify for a free copy then, hee hee

You know I thought there would be more enthusiasm than this. If I had already completed it and said it was ready, I bet there would be more people here begging for it, just like there has been for my last one. Ahh well, such is life.

morning voltimax, maybe some don't want to teach granny how to suck eggs if you catch my drift.

In previous threads in here with discussions about startup costs there are often long lists of costs including van, tools insurance, registration or membership fees, test kit, travel time, admin time, etc etc. Bearing in mind the self employed get no sick pay, holiday pay, health insurance or other benefits. Its also easy (for me at least) to not factor in some of the smaller items like grommets tape plugs and screws which usually add up but get missed from pricing.

All of these things would need to be included in some way in the costings.
I'd be delighted to hear of your progress.
Good luck.

Reply to New project in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net