Discuss News article - electrocution in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the power company knew of the damaged cable then they should have isolated it, hope the HSE throw the book at them.

Yes, does seem a bit strange - I thought they would have had it isolated straight away. Be some office type going through the proper channels with 10 forms in triplicate! Daz

How come it's taken so long for the inquest into this guy's death?? No mention of any action against the supplier or it's policies. Typical!!

Yes, does seem a bit strange - I thought they would have had it isolated straight away. Be some office type going through the proper channels with 10 forms in triplicate! Daz

The policy is stated, Isolation only after an Technician's inspection, see my post above.

There could instead have been a newspaper report of "Power company isolated power to 250,000 homes just on a single report from a member of the public"

Yeah good point there. Better to have one person dead than some home without power. Right o. Daz

How come it's taken so long for the inquest into this guy's death?? No mention of any action against the supplier or it's policies. Typical!!

Not that long for a inquest to take place some can take many years for all the investigations to be done and evidence gathered

makes me wonder how a doctor ( supposedly intelligent ) should be in contact with the cable after a good samaritan had put sticks and a warning sign there.

Yeah good point there. Better to have one person dead than some home without power. Right o. Daz

And how many people on home dialysis machines dead, or stuck half way up stairs at home on lifts or stuck in office blocks in lifts.

I doubt dumping the load on a main feeder is as simple as turning a switch, they'd have to shed generation as well.
Then restoring the supply is also not instant.

Surely they should have had a team out there pretty sharpish though. If nothing else they could have put a proper barrier up rather than a few sticks. Plus critical medical stuff should be on a UPS any way. Daz

Surely they should have had a team out there pretty sharpish though. If nothing else they could have put a proper barrier up rather than a few sticks. Plus critical medical stuff should be on a UPS any way. Daz

If you read the article it states it was 14 minutes from the member of public reporting it and the poor guy running into it. I can't imagine anyone getting to site in under 14 minutes. Don't just blame the DNO they are landed with massive fines and penalties from OFGEM for customer minutes lost. Dropping feeders on the call of a member of public would open them up to prank calls as well.

The man behaved like an idiot.

Look up operation of MV OH systems. He was a mere inconvenience to the system, as is a tree.

No you can’t go out and check every inch of an OH line for one E/F fail. If it wasn’t for equipment like “Auto Re-closers” Nearly every village in the UK would be without power for 10% of the time.

If you read the article it states it was 14 minutes from the member of public reporting it and the poor guy running into it. I can't imagine anyone getting to site in under 14 minutes. Don't just blame the DNO they are landed with massive fines and penalties from OFGEM for customer minutes lost. Dropping feeders on the call of a member of public would open them up to prank calls as well.

Fair points. Daz

makes me wonder how a doctor ( supposedly intelligent ) should be in contact with the cable after a good samaritan had put sticks and a warning sign there.

After what I've been through these past three months with damned doctors it doesn't surprise me and frankly I can think of a couple more who should be electrocuted !! :32:

Well I'm back at the horsepickle again tomorrow - after spending most of today there - for some more poking prodding and testing.

I'm thinking of taking my trusty MFT with me and see if I can persuade them to let me do some tests on them. .. IR should be a good one.

Agree with what you have pointed out above, but what do you make of this statement by UK Power Networks....??

Earlier in the hearing, UK Power Networks said it had since changed its policy of only isolating a line once a technician had inspected it.

Reply to News article - electrocution in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net