Discuss Next time you get told our generation was wasteful and not 'Green' here's the thing! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Next time you get told our generation was wasteful and not 'Green' here's the thi

The trouble these days you stop to help someone and it is treated with suspicion picking up hitch hikers these days is a no no especially if you are a male and it's girls who are hitch hiking the next thing you might find is a rape charge coming your way even though nothing happened.
If you want to avoid a rape charge from female hitch hikers, do not have sex with female hitch hikers.
Top hitch hiker/rape charge avoidance advice there.
I'd rather be viewed with suspicion than avoid a situation where someone might need help.

Re: Next time you get told our generation was wasteful and not 'Green' here's the thi

A warning for you and any of your friends who may be regular customers at Tesco.

Over the last month I became the victim of a clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to get some shopping turned out to be quite traumatic.

Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you!

Here's how the scam works:

Two seriously good looking 21 year old girls come over to your car as you are loading your stuff into the boot. They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windowlene,

with their cleavage almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look.

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say No and instead ask you for a lift to another shopping centre. You agree and they get in the back seat.

On the way, they start having sex with each other. Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and performs oral on you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen on May 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, June 2nd, 4th, three times on the 5th, three times just
yesterday, and very likely again this upcoming weekend as soon as I can buy more wallets.

We never had a cup, we used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

My post was just for a humourous nature really a copy and paste from a mate, although its origins may well be American it still brings home a few points all of which could be argued or broken down till the cows come home but TBH it wasn't posted for the accuracy of its content it was merely posted to add a little humour to the forum.
That I know.
And I think you took mine far too seriously.
But there are some serious points. Rose tinted being one.

I'm not for a moment suggesting in the world is hunky dory. Or that we are doing so much better. For example, tens of thousands dying a day, every day, of starvation is not remotely acceptable in my opinion.

Anyway, back on being green, much of my professional life has been related to energy saving projects.
On one project on one site the energy savings per day amount to more that the consumption of an average household for six years.

Altruistic? Not really. Just a business reducing operating costs.

Like any “energy saving device” it costs money, usually a disproportionate amount.

Not many businesses will pay for something unless the pay back period is reasonable. Above two years and the accountant will have an apoplectic fit.

The carbon levy is causing businesses to pack up and leave the country. We lost all our business to Spain, a European country that has the sense to stick two fingers up to Brussels. They gain jobs, we loose them.

Once again it all comes down to money.

Besoeker, you say a company saved as much energy per day as an average household would use in six years. I view figures like that with suspicion as it is plain and simple sale talk with no specific figures.

I’ll ask a straight question, what was the pay back period?

We never had a cup, we used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

Rolled up newspaper? Luxury!!
We never had a teapot. We had raw tea!! Had to suck a teabag on the way to work and be grateful
for it!

I must admit I like a weak cup of tea and as an experiment tried to see no w many cups of tea from 1 tea bag after 4 bit yucky 6 was my limit
Now we was poor

New tv is 80 watts (max) and the previous one was ~200 and half the size...

Not sure of the energy draw of a 70s or 80s one but I remember the ones I had from the 90s kicking out a fair amount of heat

You think that's bad back when I was a kid my Dad used to come home from work with a packet of extra strong mints and us kids had to sit round while he blew on us just to keep warm, C/H bah humbug

The old CRT tv's actually used little in comparison going with the trend of each houshold having a large flatscreen and have you ever checked out the heat these flatscreens tv's dish out?

The biggest issue I have with all this green promotion is the quality and life expectancy of its claims is never realised, too may companies jump on the band wagon with green products saturating a market with products made poorly and at extortionate prices that have a high failure rate... now where you get these green energy saving promotion companies again these are always springing up from nothing lasting several yrs and dissapearing because the key thing they never factor into their calculations is the price drop over the yrs of the green products they sell and the quality increase as the market weeds out the crap. Yes on paper at the time it all looks rosy but I proved to 2 of these companies their figures don't add up or fail to take vital key points into account.

Take LED's for instance over the 5yr introduction period these lamps have dropped in price by over 60% as competition is fierce and the market is saturated and give it another 3-4 yrs the cost of a good quality manufactured LED product could be 80% less than it market introduction cost ... now get one of these green energy promotion companies and accept their wares you could in fact lose out financially accepting the 'green option' there and then as appose to waiting till a volatile and unreliable market settles in. As the price crashes on the products their promote over 90% of these green promotion companies fold as their is no requirement for them to convince anyone anymore as these products are routinely fitted by your bog standard sparks as they become the norm.

Reply to Next time you get told our generation was wasteful and not 'Green' here's the thing! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net