Discuss NICEIC assessment how do I notify domestic work before being registered? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
looking for some advise please.

Ive applied for NICEIC registration and I’m awaiting my assessment, my problem is that I’ve been advise by the NICEIC that the assessor will need to see 3 jobs on the visit and the certification needs to be in my company name. As any domestic work needs to be notified to building control, I’ve contacted the council and they keep telling me that their not electricians and I would need to get an registered electrical contractor to sign of the work. As an NICEIC company your not supposed to sign off other people’s work and that doesn’t help me any way and if I can’t notify the work my self what should I do?

Is it exceptable to get my previous company who are NICEIC registered to notify the work in their name and for me to do a certificate in my name? Will the NICEIC except this?

Ive been going round in circles for the past three days and getting no where, so any advise would be greatly received.

Im a qualified electrician with 32 years experience and until recently I was a director of a company who where NICEIC registered for over 20 years.

Thanks in advance.

I though the niceic used to gave you 90 days to register the jobs after joining

The NICEIC will be able to tell you what you need to do, but you should speak to someone and explain your situation. If registering as a Domestic Installer, they usually accept a job done at your house. As you get 30 days to notify the job, you can do so when your application is approved, via the NICEIC portal.

You can get a napit person to cert it for you as they can do someone elses work, nic contractors can't
Unfortunately the NICEIC wont except this as the Company would issue a certificate in their name not mine. its ridiculous that I can’t notify part P work with out being registered but I can be registered with out notified work in my name!!

Building control give you 30 days to notify through your Scheme. So you do a notifiable job as soon as you know when your assessment will be. You get assessed, passed and given access to the NICEIC building control portal, from which you then notify the job.

Building control give you 30 days to notify through your Scheme. So you do a notifiable job as soon as you know when your assessment will be. You get assessed, passed and given access to the NICEIC building control portal, from which you then notify the job.
Will the assessor not check if the work has been notified on my assessment visit?

The NICEIC will be able to tell you what you need to do, but you should speak to someone and explain your situation. If registering as a Domestic Installer, they usually accept a job done at your house. As you get 30 days to notify the job, you can do so when your application is approved, via the NICEIC portal.
That's what I did (parent's house actually) - but I believe they have since added a proviso that you can't use work carried out at the registered address as suitable (I guess to avoid someone changing their CU every year and using that for inspection).

That's what I did (parent's house actually) - but I believe they have since added a proviso that you can't use work carried out at the registered address as suitable (I guess to avoid someone changing their CU every year and using that for inspection).
How did you notify before assessment?

How did you notify before assessment?
I didn't - They assessed and passed me, then I was able to notify. But this was back in 2006 so things may well have changed. The Assessor seemed quite aware that it was a necessary 'fiddle' at the time, but then Part P notification was still relatively new.

The system doesn't seem to allow any other way to do it though. LBC are supposed to have a system to allow DIYers to notify, but very few have any resources to do so, so they just ask for an electrical certificate from a competent person

I've seen cases where they have accepted an EICR for the work, but not clear if they knew the difference between that and an actual EIC.

I've had clients where the kitchen fitters have buggered off without notifying, and they've been left with no way to technically legally comply without using loopholes.

I Imagine that will happen more often too now that house purchase questionnaires check things like certificates.

As others have said, seems to be a catch 22.

My assessor has only ever inspected 1 job per visit though - the '3 jobs' may well be just so there are enough certificates to look at to pick up any faults.

My guess is that the easiest option is to do it and not notify. Then when the assessor contacts you before your assessment make sure he's aware of it.

There is the 30 day limit, but noone seems to be actually enforcing that even now...

I didn't - They assessed and passed me, then I was able to notify. But this was back in 2006 so things may well have changed. The Assessor seemed quite aware that it was a necessary 'fiddle' at the time, but then Part P notification was still relatively new.

The system doesn't seem to allow any other way to do it though. LBC are supposed to have a system to allow DIYers to notify, but very few have any resources to do so, so they just ask for an electrical certificate from a competent person

I've seen cases where they have accepted an EICR for the work, but not clear if they knew the difference between that and an actual EIC.

I've had clients where the kitchen fitters have buggered off without notifying, and they've been left with no way to technically legally comply without using loopholes.

I Imagine that will happen more often too now that house purchase questionnaires check things like certificates.

As others have said, seems to be a catch 22.

My assessor has only ever inspected 1 job per visit though - the '3 jobs' may well be just so there are enough certificates to look at to pick up any faults.

My guess is that the easiest option is to do it and not notify. Then when the assessor contacts you before your assessment make sure he's aware of it.

There is the 30 day limit, but noone seems to be actually enforcing that even now...
Thanks for detailed answer and advice.

Reply to NICEIC assessment how do I notify domestic work before being registered? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock