NICEIC Certification Scheme NICEIC Blackmail

Discuss NICEIC Blackmail in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

I'm getting really fed up hearing from councils/customers/builders etc that they are unwilling to use me as I am not NICEIC registers. These people don't even know what it means to be NIC registered they all seem to be under the impression that if you are not registered you should not be carrying out/certifying any electrical work.

At the end of the day NICEIC and all these other schemes are self made, self profiteering organisations taking a cut of sparks hard earned income.

Really pi**ed off hearing it, I know for a fact I am more competent and qualified than half these cowboy's running about with the NIC sticker on their van.

It should be made clear that as long as electricians are carrying out work complying with the most recent IEE regulations and using test sheets based on the IEE sheets then they are quite entitled to carry out and certify work without lining these extertionists pockets every year!

Don't you mean extortionists / only joking, yes agree wholeheartedly money grabin twits

you have 2 options.........

use your head to make the business decision and join the nic

follow your heart and make a stand on principle and quit all schemes.

neither are easy choices are they ?
but the later is gathering momentum on this forum as far as i can tell.
;-)

I get this from my other halfs old man. He's a building surveyor. He loves telling me whenever is see him that i should be NIC. One day i might remove his lips.

If your losing jobs because your not a member of the NIC then the obvious answer is join them.
you can complain all you want about the schemes but they are not going any where soon so for all these groups signing petitions etc they really are wasting their time.
But remember if you do leave the schemes then you will have to get a third party to sign off your work and some of the prices I've been told its cheaper to be a member

That's the thing though it is not a necessary evil, or it shouldn't be, a necessary evil is something like council tax the nic has morphed into a necessary evil through pure manipulation. There is nothing stopping me, you or anyone else starting a similar scheme. People should be made clear that it is qualifications and experience that count not pound not a red sticker

I don't rate the nic or council sparks, I am sure there are decent ones amongst them, but I will give you a prime example of their skills.
I will try to keep it short! I got a phone call from an old friend before xmas, telling me is mum and dad ( both in their early 90's ) had just moved in to a sheltered house type accommodation and she needed her old cooker connecting in as obviously there wasn't one in the new flat.
so I meet my mate at the flat and as we are entering a guy and woman, both early 20's are leaving, I notice the nic logos on the t shirts . they inform my friend they have just carried out a electrical safety test ( EICR I said / oh yeah that's it came the reply ) so in I got to fit new cooker!. switch isolation switch off tested the bull nose and it was still live, turned out the switch was faulty so my mate got on the phone and explained about the safety test that was still warm and how I was there and what the fault was. I could tell he was getting fobbed off so I took the phone and add a few choice words with the gimp at the other end explaining about carrying at at least a functional test on the switch . and then I pointed out that they only been there an hour so couldn't have done a proper test . and within 20 minutes they were back including some --- in a suit to put it right. What a bunch of t.ts.

That's utter nonsense redvanman there is no requirement for work to be signed off by a member if such a scheme if you are not registered. Show me where in the regs it states this.

I don't know where you heard this but you have been misinformed

What gets me is that there are certain people making a very good living out of sparkys pockets for going around assessing to see if they meet THEIR standards. These people are no better than those living off the state!!!

--- in a suit nice, but I sympathize with you mate perhaps breasts in a blazer would be more appropriate for those who are pc

£1000 a year for what? Seriously what do you get for shelling this out? A technical helpline? Don't need one I have a copy of the regs. Absolute Corruption

--- in a suit nice, but I sympathize with you mate perhaps breasts in a blazer would be more appropriate for those who are pc

Apologies Pete yes I need to think before I type, although it is quite mild compared to the comments I made down the phone to them.

That's utter nonsense redvanman there is no requirement for work to be signed off by a member if such a scheme if you are not registered. Show me where in the regs it states this.

I don't know where you heard this but you have been misinformed

So if you have wired an extension and the builder wants it signed off then what happens.
Part P is a legal requirement and it clearly states on the first page that if you are not a registered person then you can use a registered third party or the building control body who intern use a registered third party

There is no LEGAL requirement to be registered with a scheme in order to issue an electrical installation certificate for work which you have carried out

Apologies Pete yes I need to think before I type, although it is quite mild compared to the comments I made down the phone to them.

I was jokin mate bloody good job I didn't speak to the parasites, sorry for the rant

It is a load of twaddle, i do quite a few private jobs now days and im not with a scam either.
5 year apprenticeship plus did my 2391 yet still expected to join a scheme and line there pockets..... dont bloody think so!!!
My attitude to it now is why should i turn down the odd private job because if i dont do the work then john wayne rides in on his horse after 5 weeks of training and does it anyway with no testing done what so ever!!!
At the very least i know ive carried out all testing and customer can rest assured its a neat job and above all SAFE!!!!

So if you have wired an extension and the builder wants it signed off then what happens.
Part P is a legal requirement and it clearly states on the first page that if you are not a registered person then you can use a registered third party or the building control body who intern use a registered third party

building notification is the legal responsibility of the property owner , not the electrical contractor
and anyone can issue electrical certs.

Reply to NICEIC Blackmail in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net