Discuss NICEIC / NAPIT advice... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Boberto

I've been registered with NAPIT Full Scope now for nearly 4 years. They've served me well since being in business for my domestic work (which has equated to about 90% of my work until recently), with regards signing off work and notifying building contol to comply with Part P etc etc blah blah.

Anyway over the years work has grown and recently I have been asked to price a few jobs at a number of schools to be carried out through the up and coming Summer holidays. I've had alot of industrial and commercial experience down the years its just, as I say, until now the vast majority of my bread and butter work has been domestic.

Anyway my price won the tender on the first contract with the possibility of the others to follow. I was in the process of arranging delivery of gear to site to start Monday. When suddenly right at the last hurdle some *%NT at the local authority spots that even though I tick all the right boxes, constructionline, previous experience, insurance etc. The local authority in question doesnt recognise NAPIT. Only NICEIC Approved Contractor or ECA membership I am told.

As I understand it NAPIT will fight your corner should you ever have problems with the LA regarding notifying domestic work, although I have never had any council reject a notification because it came through NAPIT nor have I ever heard of this problem. But I dont see where I stand on this as its a commercial job and cant very well argue with the LA. They told me that these people....CLAW (CLAW) set the standards for the LA in Wales to follow. I've trawled their website but not seen a mention of "only NICEIC or ECA contractors" although I am not denying its there. Am I right in assuming that NICEIC Approved Contractor Scheme includes some level of commercial work quality checks when you have your on site inspections and therefore the LA are assured that its not just ou domestic work that is being assessed ??

My only option now it seems is to take it on the chin and join NICEIC which I was told when I called today will take 5 weeks and thats "fast tracking". Which means I can kiss goodbye to these jobs which needed to be completed over the Summer holidays (while the schools were shut).
Anyone had any similar experience? Is joining NICEIC Approved Contractor relatively straight forward coming from years of experience and a few years with NAPIT of can I expect a lengthy process? (The guy at NICEIC today mentioned I have to pick 8 jobs which they hand pick 5 from and then the whole site visit takes a day and a half. A preliminary check and then assessment.

Im off now for a VERY long drink...

Can you possible sub contract the signing off to a NIC Approved Contractor? You will still carry out the works but will be left with a smaller margin of profit I'd imagine. It also depends if you have any contacts with an "Approved Contractor". If it's a long term business ambition with these kinds of jobs then I wouldn't let it slip by. All the best.

I'm an NIC Approved Contractor and have been now for nearly 4 years. Like you, most of my work is domestic so when it came to the assessment that's all i was showing. They do prefer that one of the jobs they 'see' is a PI however that doesn't involve a site visit, it just involves going through the report and explaining what you've written and why. Regarding the 8 jobs, that may have changed since i only had to provide a list of 7 of which we viewed 4 (one being the PI) and the whole lot took a day to do. The main difference i think you will find (talking to a NAPIT registered mate of mine) is the office audit is a lot more stringent. My advice would be to find a folder and place the following items in it:

1. Calibration certificates and an instrument accuracy register (quarterly check sheet) for your test meters.
2. Your public liability and professional indemnity insurance policy/cert.
3. A full list of work for every job you have carried out in the past year including details of the client, address, description of work, wiring method, date of completion, approximate value of job and any relavent notes/access arrangements.
4. Details of any complaints (complaints forms can be downloaded from the NIC website).
5. A health and safety policy (regardless of size of company and what the law requires).

The above can add up to a fair chunk of information however if you're proactive it won't take long to amass. You will also need to have all your test certificates in order and an up to date list of each type of certificate cross referenced against the cert number. They are quite particular about this and will check that you haven't lost anything and that all unused certs are kept in a secure place. You will also have to have a current version of the regs, GN3 and a couple of other books to hand. You will be sent a booklet explaining what is required so you'll find it hard to miss anything.

This all sounds like an utter ball ache which i'm sure you won't be used to having dealt with NAPIT for so long however it's nowhere near as bad as it sounds. If your assessor is a good guy like the one i have i'm sure you'll be fine.

Dont know if it helps but it is illegal for a company or local authority to disregard a government backed governing body, NICEIC, ELECTSA, NAPIT etc all carry the same clout in the real world.

Refer the local authority in question to Building Control who should NOT disregard anyone based on this. If you still have a problem ring NAPIT! Local authorities are just stupid and it will be the opinion of a single person. Also I was a quantity surveyor in a previous life, you can now legally take the LA for costs incurred gathering the tender as from what it sounds they awarded you the contract and they knew your quals and governing bodies, if they claim they didnt then they failed in their duty of care.

Too right. Thats exactly what I'd as NAPIT full scope is just that and the LA has to recognise this by law. It will all boil down to some numpty in a position of power not knowing their business, as usual, a little knowledge and power are not a good combination. Bloody pocket Hitlers full of their own self importance!!!!!:83:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to NICEIC / NAPIT advice... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net