NICEIC Certification Scheme NICEIC Schemes

Discuss NICEIC Schemes in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

This is a general question to those of you who are registered with the NICEIC.

When you first set out in the trade on your own, presumably not registered with anyone, did you start off on the Domestic Installer scheme or did you go straight into the Approved Contractor scheme?

I am currently on the Domestic scheme but am switching over on renewal, but to be honest, have found it hard to get commercial work, I only seem to get or attract domestic, ok im happy with the volume of work, but would like more commercial, am I correct in thinking that if I was on the Approved scheme, I would more than likely attract more commercial work due to the better status? Its a tough one as I cannot say I'm Approved when I'm not etc to get more work.

The only thing I need to do before upgrading is my 2395 as have the 2394 and NVQ 3 and 17th etc. I just need some better bits of commercial work opposed to what I call domestic commercial where its really a domestic property thats converted into a shop and just really domestic electrics and nothing else.

If you did jump straight into Approved Contractor, how did you manage to get more commercial work or did you literally go looking for it?

Any advice greatly received thanks.

easy answer is , any commercial potential customers looking for niceic contractor arent going to choose you because your not approved contarctor only DI ,

as with your quals your 2394 is substantial i had queries on the quals and i has put straight today by niceic themselves i have 2395 and im a 17th ed spark and that fulfills there requirements im applying for AC

Yes you are more than likely right on that, it's an annoying situation with myself as would like more commercial but cannot get it due to being a DI. Did you start on the DI scheme?

I hear people when in screwfix and the like saying all they do is commercial, it amazes me how people get so much of it, I guess I need the AC status.

Yes you are more than likely right on that, it's an annoying situation with myself as would like more commercial but cannot get it due to being a DI. Did you start on the DI scheme?

I hear people when in screwfix and the like saying all they do is commercial, it amazes me how people get so much of it, I guess I need the AC status.

No never been a member going straight to AC although I am scotland based I think it's only AC although they did offer do only so I'm not sure

Don't you have to be trading atleast 1 year and have 5 different jobs to show? I'm in the same boat and I can't see any other way than going DI first unfortunately.
go DI...
then as soon as you have get booked for the approved...
and if they start any old bull about wanting to see some domestic jobs as part of the 5 jobs for AP then tell em to f%$k off as you will have just had that assessment for the DI...

I went from DI first then to AC after a few years

its not an immediate ticket to big commercial works but for me, it allowed me to carry out the business insurance eicrs that i was blocked from before due to the insurers insisting on AC only

after doing the testing for these companies, if they like you they normally take you on as their regular sparks, so its a foot in the door certainly, and as with domestic, once you start making a few satisfied customers in that circle then word soon spreads

NIC AC is an necessity as far as im concerned now

the first assessment i had i only showed domestic jobs as thats all i had, they were fine with this and just assess you on what you have done

they do like to pick the jobs though, my assessor does not like to be told what jobs to see, he always wants to pick from my certs list, which keep me on my toes i suppose

but all in all its worth all the extra cash to be taken seriously

When I registered as a DI I showed him a couple of domestic jobs, he was very pleased, im just trying to think what his name was now, Lee Tunnicliffe. Nice bloke, straight up, no bull, he was pleased with what I had to show him etc.

I have been trading over a year so am ok on that one, just have little in the way of domestic work coming in. Ill see if I can pick some more up somehow.

For them to pick the jobs, ok it ensures you always do it right else you could get away with stuff, but you know what customers are like, they might not want you going round on the off chance they are there etc.

It seems most people go DI then to AC then, its funny really, people are quick on here to say domestic installers are all crap and give them stick, but we have all been there once or still there. Its like learning to drive, we were all learners once. I would like to go approved but at the moment I can't due to insufficient commercial work.

Always try to go Approved, it will make you stand out from other businesses if you intend to work outside just domestic installations and a must if you want Local authority work and to be added to lists from consultants, JMO

I would like to go approved but at the moment I can't due to insufficient commercial work.

Ive been told different things about this depending who im talking to at the NIC, Im DI now, at my last assessment I was chatting to the assessor about going AC he said they would want to see 3 full rewires but doesn't matter if there domestic or commercial.

Yeah you now hen I spoke to the niceic about this a while ago, maybe 6 or 8 weeks, they said one domestic two commercial. What I would like to know is, hat level or commercial are they looking for? What do I need to do to satisfy the? A full shop fit or just a couple of extra points?

MDJ I totally agree, that's why I want the approved status to make me look better and to get more work. I am capable and competent, just don't want to be brushed with the oh another DI brush.

Yeah you now hen I spoke to the niceic about this a while ago, maybe 6 or 8 weeks, they said one domestic two commercial. What I would like to know is, hat level or commercial are they looking for? What do I need to do to satisfy the? A full shop fit or just a couple of extra points?

MDJ I totally agree, that's why I want the approved status to make me look better and to get more work. I am capable and competent, just don't want to be brushed with the oh another DI brush.

We can only guess as it varies. The people who can give you a definite answer are the NIC themselves, give them a ring or email them. Then you know for sure.

Are you currently winning jobs, only to then be told they can't use you because you're not an AC? If not then it won't get you any more work.

FYI I went straight to AC (as domestic work's a PITA) 4 years ago. During that time I've been listed on their website, and a County Council system with 600+ schools and all their commercial buildings on it. During that time I've not received a single call, either from the NIC website or from the Council system.

Every single job I've done has been sourced by me personally from getting out there and finding work. I've yet to be asked anything about the NIC - in fact if anything it's been more trouble than it's worth, as I'm forever getting asked stupid questions by people who work at the commercial properties about whether I do foreigners and can the do this on their house, what size shower do they need etc.

I've just this week quit my membership with them. The domestic guys are backed into a corner so they need it. If you do domestic and commercial work then you might as well go AC (as you'll still be DI anyway) but I wouldn't expect doing it to get you any more work - you have to get out and do that for yourself.

The guys you've seen in screwfix and the like who only do commercial work (like me!) get it through making contacts, working hard and keeping them happy, building relationships. That's what counts.

During that time I've been listed on their website, and a County Council system with 600+ schools and all their commercial buildings on it. During that time I've not received a single call, either from the NIC website or from the Council system.
Well you need to get a grip, ask the council for the Framework contractors list of builders and send all of them an e-mail letting them know you exist and you are on the framework list, you will get tenders by the bucket load, the reason is because work is so tight the builders win and lose jobs by very small amounts, if your the cheapest you will win work, if you have not taken advantage of being on the county council list then that is your fault and no one else's, just to add before you try to reply, I have been doing this for donkey's years and know the framework system inside out, pull your finger out and let everyone on the county council list know you exist.

Always try to go Approved, it will make you stand out from other businesses if you intend to work outside just domestic installations and a must if you want Local authority work and to be added to lists from consultants, JMO

AC all the way. It might be unfair that more of the 'public' know about the NICEIC than other scams but sometimes you just have to play the game to get on.

AC all the way. It might be unfair that more of the 'public' know about the NICEIC than other scams but sometimes you just have to play the game to get on.
exactly, and when you get on lists you need to do the opposite to cornburn and actually promote your company, what a waste, all that work to get on the approved contractors list and the county council framework and to just throw it all away because work didn't come to you, Crazy

Reply to NICEIC Schemes in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net