Discuss no access for inspection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martysparky

Gone to a house the client wanted a few things done. One of them is a dimmer switch added to the down lights. I cannot find the connection point for the switch live to test for continuity of cpc. The client has just had all new carpet fitted upstairs so wont let me lift any boards.

Obviously the switch is functioning so the switch live has continuity. If I connect from the cpc inside the switch box by running a cable to the main bonding and test between them it proves continuity.

Is this sufficient for the test results?

Hi Martyspark

Why not run long lead from cpc in the switch to consumer unit (R2 test) that should be enough to prove the cpc contiuity. you can check this reading with gn 3 tablea.1.

hope this helps
steve

martysparky

I cant quite follow what you are trying to achieve
If the switch has a cpc and that cpc is via the light/connection point
The R1 +R2 test with the live connected to earth at the consumer unit can be done

If not, a trailing lead off the earth bar of the consumer unit to the switch Cpc to verify R2 only

Or am I getting confused by the question ?

The switch is very often the most convenient point to measure R1+R2, because no steps required, no fiddly light fitting to dismantle, and it is the last point for the CPC on the circuit.

Thought the recorded R1+R2 was the highest reading of the whole lighting circuit? So wouldnt all other light fittings have to be checked and tested to find the R1+R2 ?

Reply to no access for inspection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net