Discuss No certificate or Part P registered electrician in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ALB

Hi all

As a customer, rather than an installer, sorry for posting here but I need some advice and you guys are the experts.

I have recently finished having an extension to our house, including a new kitchen. I used my usual electrician, who is very good (in term of formal qualifications he got his City & Guilds in Electrical Installation Part A back in 1972 and is very experienced). I now know he is not Part P registered and our local Building Control want a certificate to prove the quality of the workmanship. What is the best way of getting this, is he actually qualified to this this himself or what should I do to ensure building control are satisfied?

Thanks in advance for any answers?

ask BC if they will accept a PIR ( or EICR as it is now). failing that, see if your electrician has a mate who is part p registered to inspect the work.

If you have had building control involved in the assessment of the building of the new extension and paid all the appropriate fees, then building control should be happy with an Electrical Installation Certificate for the work, which your electrician should have supplied anyway. If he is qualified and competent to do the work then he should be competent to complete the Electrical Installation Certificate.
If not then as Tel says.

hmmm, must admit, did not read post fully. must be my age, LOL. to ALB. was planning permission involved? if so, then richard is correct in saying that all you need is an eic from your electrician, he does not need to be a part p scam member.

Hi all

As a customer, rather than an installer, sorry for posting here but I need some advice and you guys are the experts.

I have recently finished having an extension to our house, including a new kitchen. I used my usual electrician, who is very good (in term of formal qualifications he got his City & Guilds in Electrical Installation Part A back in 1972 and is very experienced). I now know he is not Part P registered and our local Building Control want a certificate to prove the quality of the workmanship. What is the best way of getting this, is he actually qualified to this this himself or what should I do to ensure building control are satisfied?

Thanks in advance for any answers?

Interesting if BC actually believe an EIC proves the quality of workmanship.....in my experience it may....but it also may definately not....(casting no assertions on the OP's job here)....but this is exactly whats wrong with part p.

Reply to No certificate or Part P registered electrician in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net