Discuss No continuity of neutral conductor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Remove both ends of ring. Join L+N on one leg. Go around measuring continuity L->N.
Note what has continuity and the highest reading you can find. You will find some sockets have none.
Then join other L+N on other leg (remove original link). Repeat, again looking for highest reading.

Unless they happen to be spurs, the break / bad connection is at or between the two highest readings.

Was in the process of typing what @timhoward said...

You could also use a wander lead at a socket approximately half way round (if you can determine that) to test continuity back to each leg of the neutral at the board - then narrow it down to sockets either side..

But if you disconnect anything at a socket then reconnect you may fix the problem without realising.

The most likely is a socket with a neutral not correctly tightened, tightened onto insulation or popped out when the socket was put back in...

I tend to leave one leg out of the board, switch the circuit back on, (with all appliances unplugged on circuit of course) then walk around with my martindale until it beeps in a grumpy fashion. Make a note of grumpy sockets, then isolate, swap legs in the breaker and repeat, see which ones now have N again and can then ascertain where the problem area is using mainly my ears?

I tend to leave one leg out of the board, switch the circuit back on, (with all appliances unplugged on circuit of course) then walk around with my martindale until it beeps in a grumpy fashion. Make a note of grumpy sockets, then isolate, swap legs in the breaker and repeat, see which ones now have N again and can then ascertain where the problem area is using mainly my ears?
I sometimes do similar if house is unoccupied.

The fact of the matter is. Someone has moved the circuit off the rcd cover and moved it on to a mcb on its own so it doesn't trip the rcd ( due to the imbalance)
Due to this im going to back heel it.
This tells me someone has tried to fix it but couldn't so have came up with this as a solution.

Just call me Holmes.

Last edited:
Someone has moved the circuit off the rcd cover and moved it on to a mcb on its own so it doesn't trip the rcd ( due to the imbalance)

What imbalance? Loss of neutral continuity on a ring won't cause an imbalance. However the problem that has caused the break in the neutral might have caused an earth fault as well (e.g. nail through cable) or the two might be completely unrelated. Indeed, someone playing the detective looking for an intermittent earth fault might have left the neutral cable out of the terminal by accident. Keep an open mind and test systematically.

The fact of the matter is. Someone has moved the circuit off the rcd cover and moved it on to a mcb on its own so it doesn't trip the rcd ( due to the imbalance)
This tells me someone has tried to fix it but couldn't so have came up with this as a solution.

Just call me Holmes.

Are you working with a qualified spark? Can't they help?

Can't help but think that it will be a missed opportunity for you walking away when there is some valuable learning to be had finding this fault it is admitting defeat before you have even started, the previous guy failed so go out and do better than him and find the fault
Just call me Holmes.
Wasn't he defective.... oops sorry detective??

Not the best attitude to have...Especially not as a trainee!
What imbalance? Loss of neutral continuity on a ring won't cause an imbalance. However the problem that has caused the break in the neutral might have caused an earth fault as well (e.g. nail through cable) or the two might be completely unrelated. Indeed, someone playing the detective looking for an intermittent earth fault might have left the neutral cable out of the terminal by accident. Keep an open mind and test systematically.

Can't help but think that it will be a missed opportunity for you walking away when there is some valuable learning to be had finding this fault it is admitting defeat before you have even started, the previous guy failed so go out and do better than him and find the fault

I agree i should have maybe tried fixing it myself, but you didn't/havent seen the property and I've got so much going on. In future I'm planning on getting stuck into the fault finding, hence why this post. Building up my knowledge in the meantime. No doubt someone on this will take a pop, but whatever.

I agree i should have maybe tried fixing it myself, but you didn't/havent seen the property and I've got so much going on. In future I'm planning on getting stuck into the fault finding, hence why this post. Building up my knowledge in the meantime. No doubt someone on this will take a pop, but whatever.
A customer you walk away from is a lost customer for the future and looking at the bigger picture someone who won't recommend you to others in a positive way

A customer you walk away from is a lost customer for the future and looking at the bigger picture someone who won't recommend you to others in a positive way
That's your negative view on the situation, I spoke with the customer today. Once the fault is repaired he wants me to check it then install some smokers. OK goodnight over and out.

That's your negative view on the situation, I spoke with the customer today. Once the fault is repaired he wants me to check it then install some smokers. OK goodnight over and out.

Who is repairing the fault? Are you working alongside someone?

Reply to No continuity of neutral conductor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net