Discuss No need to do 17th edition if you have level 2 and 3 2330! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1sammaskell

Hi there just a quick one to make sure everyone knows if you have done level 2 and 3 2330 there is no need to do your 17th edition as it will be shown on your jib card anyway. Please dont let these colleges or training providers tell you that you need to do it!!!

The whole idea of doing the 17th edition and likely in the near future 18th edition and so on is to show your keeping up with the present edition of the regulations we all have to adhere to.

Without that bit of paper to prove you have a full understanding of the latest regulations if the proverbial hits the fan you could find yourself in very deep water.

I have been working to the regs book for three years and using it for that amount of time at college if people dont know it after three years they never will!

Most employers will expect you to have the 17th or they wont offer you a job. Also insurence companies will void any claim if employees dont have it.

Having your level 2 and 3 is one thing, having passed a test showing that you understand how to find answers to electrical questions/problems and where to find them is another. The wiring Regs are the foundation of our industry and what all electrical qualifications are taken from. My advice to anyone is to get your 17th ed qual regardless of whatever JIB says, you need it imo.

Most employers will expect you to have the 17th or they wont offer you a job. Also insurence companies will void any claim if employees dont have it.

Having your level 2 and 3 is one thing, having passed a test showing that you understand how to find answers to electrical questions/problems and where to find them is another. The wiring Regs are the foundation of our industry and what all electrical qualifications are taken from. My advice to anyone is to get your 17th ed qual regardless of whatever JIB says, you need it imo.

Paul, I don't think insurance companies will void any claims, I work for a very large company and they never pay to put any of the lads on the 17th course, They are well uptogether on HSE and I can't see how they would overlook that!

Paul, I don't think insurance companies will void any claims, I work for a very large company and they never pay to put any of the lads on the 17th course, They are well uptogether on HSE and I can't see how they would overlook that!

When you have the 17th ed qual you can supervise up to 12 workers. Your company is just saving money by not paying for employees to progress.

End of the day lads, get your 17th. It's not a difficult exam and it's the bench mark for everything in the industry.

I was finishing my 2330 as the regs were changing, so the final exam was 'regs-neutral' ie none of the questions could be marked as incorrect due to the changes. I did the 1 day update after that, which is listed on my dib card and saves having to explain it all when applying for a job where the employer has specified 'must have 17th edition'.
Think about it - are they going to employ the guy who has the qualifications they want, or the guy with a barrelfull of excuses?

if your going to stay with the same employer , dont take the 17th edition as you have been taught to the 17th when obtaining level 2 and 3 2330 , however , any move from one employer to the other or agency work will probably ask for the 17th edition qualification , so it would be worth obtaining at the moment as amendment 2 or the 18 edition will be at least 5years plus away . cheers , p.s. the more qualifications you have the easier doors will open for you employment wise .

An insurance company will use any excuse they can to avoid paying out

The upshot of it all is.....it is penpushers who recruit electricians. Penpushers have no idea about NVQ's, degrees, diplomas, and anything else, all of which are far more valuable than the 17th edition. But penpushers see this as the be all and end all, and without it in their opinion and electrician you are not. If you do not hold the 17th, then getting a job will prove difficult, unfortunate and wrong i agree, but that is how it is.

Cheers..........Howard

the 2330 isnt the same as the 17th at all, however if you have passed the 2330 level 3 you can do the 2382-20, at my college we weren't required to have a 17th book while doing the 2330. the whole point of the 17th is to be able to use the book not to learn it off by heart in 3 years.

Sorry just want to be sure as most places who offer a course will just want your cash!

I have a Approved jib card become an electrician in 2003 approx nvq 3/City & Guilds (full apprenticeship) recently have the 2391 as well as the 2377. do i need the 17th? looking to get NIC EIC registered is this a must before i do anything at all?

Sorry just want to be sure as most places who offer a course will just want your cash!

I have a Approved jib card become an electrician in 2003 approx nvq 3/City & Guilds (full apprenticeship) recently have the 2391 as well as the 2377. do i need the 17th? looking to get NIC EIC registered is this a must before i do anything at all?

Think you'll need too, just to prove to the scam providers that your conversant with the latest 17th Edition....

Reply to No need to do 17th edition if you have level 2 and 3 2330! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net