Discuss No paperwork following new bathroom installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amazingly they came round here this morning, fixed the leaky sink. Also brought our shower and hose back - shower now fab! They are arranging for their sparky to come out on Friday free of charge and fix a timer (that we need to supply) onto the hot water systen/sort ts wire out. Big surprising turnaround from them but very welcome!

Excellent news. Keep us posted. And it would be good to see photos of the new consumer unit they have fitted if you could post some on here.

Amazingly they came round here this morning, fixed the leaky sink. Also brought our shower and hose back - shower now fab! They are arranging for their sparky to come out on Friday free of charge and fix a timer (that we need to supply) onto the hot water systen/sort ts wire out. Big surprising turnaround from them but very welcome!
shaming them on their facebook page usually gets a good result

shaming them on their facebook page usually gets a good result
No i talked to them to resolve it. Didnt want to rubbish them on fb cos the bathroom is superb and they are nice ppl generally. I suspect just out of depth as company only formed last March. Having said that they brought final receipt on Saturday and costs of hardware are hidden and no receipts from supplier. We picked items from supplier in 25% off sale, I've tried to ring them to see if they did indeed use that supplier, what paperwork should i have re bath etc actual cost of package to compare to their figure but ringing out. Its Easy Bathrooms. We only found out after this from Mother in law that she got no paperwork. Which is ridiculous as they had new spots, fan, moved a window etc and her husband is a sparky so you'd think he'd have raised it!! Also overheard bathroom guy on phone saying they wont do a job for less that 6k. They quouted 4500 for ours, it ended up at 5800. Deceptive? Probably. Good at bathrooms but there is some scam going on. Also they are vat registered but there is no vat on the receipt? Do they think we are as stupid as them? That shower they brought back had not been in a skip! Suspect he was going to ebay it, go for £60+

That is the shower they brought back

1549872708285634293091639519202.jpg

15498727838962384830940786519979.jpg

Also on FB all reviews are 5* and loads of pictures so we would just look strange putting negative comments. The big difference here is the mice have played because the project manager didnt come on site til the last day. She was there every day at my mother in laws.

Hayley, legally you have no right to see their receipts for materials unless you had an agreement on that basis. It is standard practice for Companies to make money on components/hardware on the basis of volume discounts and handling fees, after all someone has to order the parts and manage the process and this is an overhead cost to the business.

With regards to a VAT invoice, Article 13 of the VAT Regulations 1995 (SI 1995/2518) specifies that a VAT registered business is required to supply a proper VAT invoice when requested to do so by a VAT registered customer in order for the customer to reclaim the correct VAT amount. You are not a VAT Registered customer so therefore a VAT invoice of irrelevant as far as you are concerned. That said most invoicing systems include the VAT element simply to keep the software simple, otherwise there would be a need for two receipt systems.

Hayley, legally you have no right to see their receipts for materials unless you had an agreement on that basis. It is standard practice for Companies to make money on components/hardware on the basis of volume discounts and handling fees, after all someone has to order the parts and manage the process and this is an overhead cost to the business.

With regards to a VAT invoice, Article 13 of the VAT Regulations 1995 (SI 1995/2518) specifies that a VAT registered business is required to supply a proper VAT invoice when requested to do so by a VAT registered customer in order for the customer to reclaim the correct VAT amount. You are not a VAT Registered customer so therefore a VAT invoice of irrelevant as far as you are concerned. That said most invoicing systems include the VAT element simply to keep the software simple, otherwise there would be a need for two receipt systems.
Thanks. I understand exactly what you are saying but I just have an odd feeling about this.the "receipt" is unlike anything Ive seen before and the figures dont mske sense. This is the fifth house we've done and never had an experience like this, albeit never done a bathroom but in the past had combi boilers fitted etc and always had receipts listing the price of the hardware eg boiler, sundries and labour and VAT. They are sending the electrician tomorrow afternoon re hot water wiring/timer. See what that brings, hopefully an end to the whole matter.

You’re more than entitled to ask for a receipt/invoice showing a breakdown of what YOU were charged, for labour, materials etc, whether you’re vat registered or not, you CAN ask for a vat receipt and once you request this, the company are legally bound to issue you with one (if they’re vat registered).

Been a while since I read the HMRC vat guidelines (been registered for over 20 years), but the usually stance was that for transactions under £100, there’s no need to issue an invoice with a breakdown of the vat, but if over £100, you MUST show the vat element on receipts/invoices.

If the work was within the budget agreed, or was based upon a specific specification, unless the customer has requested a broken down estimate or they have a specific contractual arrangement that specifies this, then they have no legal basis upon which to demand to see the original invoices for materials. The Contractor is obliged to deliver the contracted works at the agreed price and provided they have done this then they have discharged their responsibilities under the Contract.

Costs associated with additional works instructed will normally fall under the original terms of the Contract unless agreed differently - for example a customer could require a broken down invoice that included the price materials were being charged for but that would still not extend to what the Contractor has paid as it is not relevant to the Contract. The Contract requires only a specified amount against an agreed work package.

Depending on the nature of the invoicing system used by a Contractor there may be an entry for materials or similar (simply because it is how the system is written rather then being a requirement) but there will never be a line by line breakdown of materials/components - just think of how big the invoice would be for a house require ??

As you rightly point out retail suppliers can issue a simply VAT Invoice for items under £250. Above £250 and either a full VAT receipt or a modified VAT are required to be issued.

As far as I am aware there is no legal requirement for any receipt to be issued to a customer, but custom & practice is different.

If the work was within the budget agreed, or was based upon a specific specification, unless the customer has requested a broken down estimate or they have a specific contractual arrangement that specifies this, then they have no legal basis upon which to demand to see the original invoices for materials. The Contractor is obliged to deliver the contracted works at the agreed price and provided they have done this then they have discharged their responsibilities under the Contract.

Costs associated with additional works instructed will normally fall under the original terms of the Contract unless agreed differently - for example a customer could require a broken down invoice that included the price materials were being charged for but that would still not extend to what the Contractor has paid as it is not relevant to the Contract. The Contract requires only a specified amount against an agreed work package.

Depending on the nature of the invoicing system used by a Contractor there may be an entry for materials or similar (simply because it is how the system is written rather then being a requirement) but there will never be a line by line breakdown of materials/components - just think of how big the invoice would be for a house require ??

As you rightly point out retail suppliers can issue a simply VAT Invoice for items under £250. Above £250 and either a full VAT receipt or a modified VAT are required to be issued.

As far as I am aware there is no legal requirement for any receipt to be issued to a customer, but custom & practice is different.
Thanks guys. Im so confused now! My issues now are three fold. We were told to make "economical choices" to keep the cost down, so we didnt choose tiles etc that we might have done because we wanted to stay in £4500 budget, however at the end we have been charged £5800 anyway, so why did we have to be economical with our choices?!
Secondly the invoice hides this stating £4700 + £1100 for additional work's. Only the additional works are itemised and they are steep.
I have no issue paying 6k for a bathroom, what i have issue with is being told on original quote we wont need to do your soil stack/toich your electrics etc so they could quote at £4500 only for them 2 days in to say we need to do all this work, right now or we will walk off the job.
No VAT!
Its dishonest and it felt bullying. I stayed out of my own home the whole of thursday as they were so bad. Theyve damaged carpet, a leather chair, had to repaint a freshly painted wall and so much dust never seen the like in 23 years of doing renovations.
Then the shower and hw tank to ice the cake.
Where would you go from here as ive had 3× different views on the vat. I dont want money back, i want them to be fairer with customers in future.

Hi - Unfortunately it does often happen during renovation that things are discovered while the project is in progress. It's how this is handled that's remembered. I think you said your folks have not been together long. The important thing now is get the job completed to your satisfaction.

Hayley,

Just to set the scene I spent about 15 years managing large Contracts for work up to £1bn so I am familiar with Contract Law. So to answer your questions and hopefully help you find a way forward here are some thoughts.

1 : What was your agreed price that you signed up to, and the scope of work that this price reflected?

2 : Prior to the extra work being identified, what (if anything) was agreed in respect of additional or emerging works ?

3 : Was there any agreement as to how additional work / materials, etc would be charged ?

4 : Was anything formally communicated to you about the price changes for the additional work ?

5 : Was the quotation issued with the phrase E&OE or does the "Errors & Omissions Excepted" or similar appear ?

6 : What level of site survey was undertaken ?

7 : In your opinion could a competent contractor have been aware of the potential risk or likelihood of additional work being necessary - agreed anything that might suggest the work would be more involved/complicated ?

8 : Read their Contract Ts & Cs and see what it says about additional works. There may be something that requires prior written authority before incurring cost which you could argue makes the extra costs non-recoverable but this is a thin straw to grasp and may not succeed

9 : What is the Contractual basis of the Contract (IEE or Standard Form, or ICE, etc. Should say in the Contract).

Once you have the answers to these questions then you can embark on the next stage which is to ask them to explain their price.

You should write to either the project manageress, or if not happy at that level, the Operations Manager, state that you are unhappy at quantum of the final cost and ask them for a detailed breakdown of the work they have undertaken, clearly setting out the original materials and labour costs you had authorised and setting out separately the additional labour and materials costs with a justification of how these figures have been arrived at.

As it appears you may well have instructed them to proceed with changes verbally, they will probably argue that it was undertaken on the basis of time and materials or emerging cost. Unless you can prove that either (1) the work was not necessary, or (2) they have undertaken work without your authority then you really do not have a good position in all of this.

You could if you so wish tell them that you had overheard an operative making the £6000 statement but that is hearsay and would not necessarily be useful in any action. They may wish to speak with you and it may well be that they can demonstrate that they have acted fairly.

I fully appreciate all the pressures put upon you but were you to make a claim in Law then this will be looked at dispassionately and will purely proceed on the basis of Contractual Law.

If having obtained a detailed breakdown of the work you feel that the works have been overpriced then you could contact another reputable Company and ask them to give you a second opinion, or alternatively you could speak to your insurer and use the legal protection cover to arrange for an assessor to give you an opinion.

Finally there is a legal obligation on a Contractor to minimise the costs of additional work, in other words they have to act in a professional manner and cannot charge you excessively. There should also be some sort of trade association that can provide details of an ombudsman or an Arbitrator who could be contacted to give a binding opinion.

You should go this route in the first instance before resorting to a legal remedy.

I offer only an opinion above, and how you proceed is a decision for you but you should not proceed solely on the basis of my post here. I would strongly advise you to speak with a Solicitor with experience in Commercial Law at the earliest time if after you have asked them to justify their costs you still remain unhappy. You should give him the information I have suggested you collect above.

Hi. Thanks 4 detailed reply. They sent their electrician out tonight free of charge who restored and mended the hot water tank and issued certification and has filed part P so all is good. Took him 1hr. Why he couldnt do that Thurs/fri save all that aggro. All issues resolved now. Not pursuing them now as chance of refund non existant. Steep learning curve but at least the bathroom is quality. Thanks

So you will moan about and rubbish their work on this forum.......but not facebook......sent their sparky out for free......after charging you £1300 more than the quote.....I wouldn't call that free

What is your point here? There were things wrong - missing/stolen shower, leaking sink, hotwater tank not restored, no paperwork Eic etc and what i felt was unfair charging system.
They have addressed all the issues. Apart from I do not have a VAT invoice.
I have a busy life and no energy to pursue something that i know i wont win. (I worked in legal 10 years.)
I was asking for advice re electricals. Got some very useful advice. Not moaning as far as I am aware, providing the facts as I saw them.
What would you want me to do now that would make you happy? You obviously feel I've done something wrong?

Reply to No paperwork following new bathroom installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net