Discuss Odd voltage on Off peak circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
While sorting out some issues with immersions at a flat yesterday, I ran into something that seemed peculiar (to me at least).

Immersions need new thermostats/cut out, all quite normal..

However, while testing the lower (off peak) immersion I was getting 13V L-N - which I assumed was just my meter picking up 'stray' voltage from wires running together.

However, when testing resistance across the immersion, the off peak RCD tripped.... (Possibly when also touching earth).

After resetting it I checked again and no voltage at all showing up on the off peak - and RCD test button non responsive as expected since it was not an off peak time....

I imagine the neutral is shared between on peak and off peak boards, though didn't take them apart to verify. But could that give a situation with a stray current where the RCD was 'powered' adequately to trip?

Boards are fairly recent, with Wylex RCD protection - on a flat with economy 7. I did verify the polarity of the main incoming supply at the other immersion switch since a meter had recently been changed.... Didn't have time to investigate any further though...

Is it normal to get a situation where you can trip the off peak RCD even when Line isn't powered? Not something I've run into before...

Yes. A conventional non-electronic RCD doesn't need to be 'powered', the tripping coil is operated directly from the balance transformer. Completing a circuit N-E can cause a residual current regardless of whether the line is present. One should preferably isolate all poles when carrying out resistance tests.

Reply to Odd voltage on Off peak circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, need some advice, I moved over from Sse in 2020 to Octpus energy. Whilst I was with SSE I was on E10 when I went over to octopus they put me...
Replies
Views
I have two supplies into a new horstman e7 box, 1 from the offpeak water heating one from standard tariff boost do both suppies go to 1 and 2, 4...
Replies
Views
The unit only heats water using the programmed boost and when pressed in the 1 2 or Cont boost function. I have checked the off-peak time which...
Replies
Views
Hi Absolutely 0 knowledge of this so excuse language / terms / explanation. Electric only ground floor 2 bed flat ( 3 external walls) On peak...
Replies
Views
Hi, So I'm trying to understand what's going on with my off-peak electricity supply, as something's wrong with it and I'm trying to determine if...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock