Discuss Old brigade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Emg light from early 70’s & today’s emg light.
Dont know about the older sparkies I would of loved to have known more about electronics.
look @
6A0E2FBD-B6C4-41A4-88FA-5CD3D19CF92D.jpeg
11B59232-1023-44A5-BF7F-21E79494910B.jpeg

Last edited:
Come on! Give us a clue......which is which?

A 6ft fluorescent with auto transformer start compared with a 6ft LED...…now there is a comparison...;)

The older fitting actually looks later than 1970s to me, plus the number 2698 on the transformer is quite likely to be a date code (week 26 of 1998). The technology of the newer fitting is actually also 1990s but still sort-of current for low-tech and low-cost products; through hole components, carbon film resistors, single-sided FR2 board etc.

Post crossed with Freddo

The older fitting actually looks later than 1970s to me, plus the number 2698 on the transformer is quite likely to be a date code (week 26 of 1998). The technology of the newer fitting is actually also 1990s but still sort-of current for low-tech and low-cost products; through hole components, carbon film resistors, single-sided FR2 board etc.

Post crossed with Freddo
Tell me more,great explanation,but way too much for me.

I started in 1967.
None of the buildings I worked on or in had emergency lighting.
None had standby generators

If the lights went you, you found your way out, somehow.
However those buildings had secure and dedicated supplies, with backup supplies available. (H.M Gov.)

Come the crisis in the early 70's we installed a lot of generators very quickly for essential basic supplies although they were hardly ever used.

Back in the seventies emergency lighting was usually from a central battery. A phase failure relay switched all the backup lights on if any phase went down.

We put them in a fairly big comms room they were as good as useless.
Social clubs for us, 70's and 80's, loads of them wired in pyro. Do you remember the exit box units with two brass lamp holders? Rubbish but nothing better, so served a purpose, I suppose. They cost a fortune, too and forever replacing the lamps.

I still come across central battery systems in old large substations, nothing automatic just a DC rated light switch controlling 110V 60w lamps

Good grief you lot make me feel old, according to the government I am very vulnerable so staying inside for the next few weeks, good job I got the wine stocks replenished.

Good grief you lot make me feel old, according to the government I am very vulnerable so staying inside for the next few weeks, good job I got the wine stocks replenished.
If you want to feel vulnerable, you're in the right place on here.....codger;)
[automerge]1584656535[/automerge]
Old emergency lights? I’ve got loads.
They’re made of wax and come on with matches
Corrected that for you..

Reply to Old brigade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net