Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss old council db's in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

brs73

-
Reaction score
hello there
i've got to change a db to a flat in a council block but it isn't a straight changover.
these old cabinets are everywhere in the borough where i live and work.
is there a straight replacement up to 17th standards .i go to a lot of jobs where they have this arrangement, i know the fuses are wylex but ???
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Attachments

• IMG00224-20100112-1809.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG00158-20091210-1807.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG00226-20100112-1821.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG00225-20100112-1821.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 150
hello there
i've got to change a db to a flat in a council block but it isn't a straight changover.
these old cabinets are everywhere in the borough where i live and work.
is there a straight replacement up to 17th standards .i go to a lot of jobs where they have this arrangement, i know the fuses are wylex but ???
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Is there any chance that you could reposition the contactor to allow space for new cu.

i know that there is space to fit a board but i was wondering if there was a something on the market to fit into the space where the current board is
cheers

MMMM I have done a few of these as well, they are a pain in the backside. my cabinet was too narrow to put a 17th edition board in so I put a 6 way consumer unit with main switch and then RCBO's.

luckily this ones wide enough for a split/split db
these cabinets are absolutely everywhere in my area. a majority of the council propertys have them,
it'd be really handy to find a 17th ed upgrade for them
i'm gonna try the manufacturer today but i dont hold too much hope

They are called a mantel unit.
Wylex do a range of "skeleton boards" to retrofit into these mantel units.
You can get main switch, split load and dual rcd versions, and a choice of MCB's or RCBO's.

TLC and CEF both hold these skeleton boards in stock.

i changed one of them in hull for member of family...! my space was less than size of a4 paper length ways..!!

total pig... i just fitted a RCD 63s/30ma isolator and the 2 sockets 1 light and 1x boiler!!! as this job was more or less for free i was not prepared to incur the cost of RCBO's as only board that i could get fit was a stupid Hager one!!! board x 4 mcbs £50 job done!! RCBO's 28.99 each from wholesaler!! :eek:

(note to self.... when in hull take gear with you as the wholesalers are crap, mind you found one that was not to bad...!! stayed clear from bonus electrical on advice from other sparks!!)

going to see if i can upload the pics..!! had to bash the bloody enclosure to allow the box to fit!! even than the lid dont fully drop due to the meter been in way!!

were you get your gear from in hull???

steve

as i understand there is no problem installin on a backboard we do nearly every cu like this and never been pulled up by niceic for it? i think all modern units are suitably fire rated and self extingushing should a fire start inside the unit

couple of picd i dug out..!! horrible horrible place to try and fit a new box..

i wanted to fit on wall above it at head height but relative twisted and moaned

Reply to old council db's in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net