Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss old fused switch in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martinh287

Hi guys was wondering if anyone had worked on this type of fused isolater before. It has a handle just out of view thwt makes and brakes the electrical connection. Unlike most of the other isolaters I work with that isolate with a turning motion of the copper connections this one move in as a unit and oit as a unit.

My job was to install our cables to the outgoing side of the isolater but to gain access to the connections the porcelain 'caps' needed to come off which required the fuse carriers out the way. I have found must isolaters I have worked on have a simple method of removing the making and breaking components by a simple spring loaded toggle at the side of the isolator. However with this type no such simple removal method was found and the whole fuse carriers had to be stripped down.

I was just wondering if anyone that has worked on a similar isolator new of way to remove the entire fuse carrier

Attachments

• 20130204_170809.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20130205_094532.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 105
Although i cant identify with the unit you have their it is typical of a fused switch isolator where the fuse carriage moved in and out... most brands old and new usually require a few screws out to remove the whole fuse carriage il be supprised if this wasn't the case here and you may have stripped it down further than required to remove it?

Although im not saying you are wrong id just be supprised if its such an hassle to do.

Looking at it the insulator strips at top and bottom of fuses are held on by 8 bolts in total ...removing these would release the whole carriage... you should not be left with busbar drops like your pic just to make connections of either load side or supply side......

If im right ? I worked that out from your pic so i will assume if im am in deed correct that you just had a heavy weekend on the beer and see the trees for the wood. :ciappa:

Last edited:
I was expecting at the most two bolts either side and the entire unit coming out but on the ends it was a riveted ball joint.the bottom busbars could have been removed by 4 more bolts but as the new cables where coming in from above they were well out the way.

This isolater was orginally feeding a brilliant 3 phase section board I only wish I had taken a picture.

Worked on many of these and other fuse switches in my earlier years. As Tony and DW have stated 8 bolts and the the carriage is released as a complete unit. As it looks at the moment in pic #1 the bottom moving contacts are in the ON position. I hope you get that carriage back together and all lined up correctly or you may end up with one or more of the blades not making sufficient contact into the collectors....

Cheers for the advice guys when every was put back together all tested out ok. Salter was the name of the busbar enclosure. all the asbestos sheets had been removed It looked at a guess 1950's 1960's

Worked on many of these and other fuse switches in my earlier years. As Tony and DW have stated 8 bolts and the the carriage is released as a complete unit. As it looks at the moment in pic #1 the bottom moving contacts are in the ON position. I hope you get that carriage back together and all lined up correctly or you may end up with one or more of the blades not making sufficient contact into the collectors....

Not sure where your looking here E54 but the blades are clearly out as thats the live side and also the rod that slides in the slot at bottom centre is out towards the pic viewer meaning it in the off position ..... or do you mean something else?

When I came across this I did think about removing all 8 bolts and leaving the fuses connected but was concerned with removing the potentially live metal parts of the fuses as this had the largest surface area to give me a shock should removal of the 8 bolts not work out as planned. now I have worked on this type my prefered method would be to remove the 8 bolts.

You learn from your experiances and you get nowhere without asking so thanks for the help guys. Wish I had experienced guys like yourself to help out in this situations

Not sure where your looking here E54 but the blades are clearly out as thats the live side and also the rod that slides in the slot at bottom centre is out towards the pic viewer meaning it in the off position ..... or do you mean something else?

Yeah your right!! Optical illusion maybe to do with having to kick my head round, to see the photo right way up. ...lol!!

looks like ottermill to me.
a fused swith and a switch fuse are two different beasts.
one's fuse are engaged by making the switch while the other one is made by copper links which engage and the fuses are fixed i.e they don't move.

Reply to old fused switch in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net