Discuss Oral Contracts... in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bigbaddave

Finished a rewire last week, the quote made for the work was pretty bang on with what was included and what wasnt. It was a "Like for Like rewire"

The only requirements were is had to be 17th Edition rewire.. Anyway when on site after I got the go ahead again before any sockets were fitted i said "Are the sockets to be left where they are.. Yes.. So off I go..

Now then.. I have completed the job issued cert and invoice.. Happy days.. Until the guy rings and says the sockets are too low. They need to be 450mm for 17th edition.. Thats new builds bud not renovation.. we agreed this before any work commenced " Like for Like rewire" yeah but I also said that it needed to be 17th edition and it isnt as the sockets are too low... I've googled it and they need to be higher.. But we agreed they were to be fitted at the same height..

Anyway he says that is doest comply therefore he isnt willing to pay the bill. He has googled it and it doesnt comply...

I said id call him back, at first I was tempted to ask him to complain to my scam but that will take time and I really want it sorted and paid.. Im tempted to just move the sockets and then just get paid..

this will be a lesson though.. Include sockets heights in further quotes..

Socket heights aren't 17th edition, that comes under the disability discrimination act, had he also complained that the switch heights are tio high and beed to be lowered too, sounds like you should have got it all in writing to start with before you carried anything out

My point exactly but regardless of what the regs are the guy has read on the internet. Lol

I certainly will be including this information in the future, First difficult customer I have had in a while so not to bad to be fair. Just shame its on such a big job.. Want paying.. Ill have a think about waht to do but as it wasnt in writing im tempted just to move them..

he's pulling a fast one. the 450mm rule is for new builds, not rewires. ask him to show you the regulation that says they must be that height.. give him 14 days to pay or get thomas higgins on the case.

Go round to his house, put your phone on loud speaker and speak to building control, they will provide him with the information you already have. Then state the height was what he wanted. Try doing it in front of someone else so he will accept he's wrong (in other words mind f!ck the c*nt haha)
See where that gets you.

Point him to the regs that talk about height of sockets and the fact they only apply to new builds and ask him for the reg he's refering too.

Cheers guys. I know I am in the rights but its difficult to deal with someone who is adamant there right. I mean they have read it on the tinterweb therefore it must be rights. Lol

I have been stung before by the wife giving me verbal instructions then when it came to the final invoice the husband said I didn't ask you to do this and refused to pay. I am looking at getting duplicate change of works forms for the customer to sign.

Reply to Oral Contracts... in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net