Discuss Outdoor lighting has just started tripping RCD and/or MCB in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Neil Mc

Hi All,

1st post but, could really do with some help!

Recently installed a combination of 240v & transformer fed 12v outdoor lighting. The system is linked to a photcell to detect darkness which is timer controlled to knock off at 10pm to save electricity. Also, wired in to the lighting circuit is a Spectra wireless system of 2 No. PIR's. This is to give added security when the timer/photocell is in 'off' mode.

The whole system has worked flawlessly for about 10 weeks now. However, it has suddenly developed a fault whereby it will come on and then trip out 15-20 minutes later. Sometimes its just the 6A MCB that trips, on other occassions it is the 63A RCD. The whole outdoor lighting and power setup is fed from a seperate Contactum 2 Way consumer unit, 6A MCB for lighting and a 10A MCB that is spare for future use.

There is a 240v lighting run on the retaining wall and a 240v lighting run on the soffit. If I disconnect the retaining wall lights, the system works fine and nothing trips out, proving the control gear is working fine and further proving the fault is somewhere on the retaining wall lighting.

Questioning the connections, I removed the capping stones on the retaining wall this weekend and re-wired all the lights. Guess what? Same problem still occurs.

Any advice as this is becoming a real head scratcher.

Incidentally, the problems only started when the severe cold weather started in December.

Neil

my first thoughts would be water ingress . do you have test equipment. ?

Reply to Outdoor lighting has just started tripping RCD and/or MCB in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net