Discuss outside garden sauna in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

superkarter250

hi, i have an outside barrel sauna on order to be with me in 4 weeks.

in the mean time i want to build a concrete/deck base and lay the electrics to it and then get a qualified electrcian to make the final connections and inspect.

The sauna is UK voltage 8800watts, 6kw on stove and 2.8kw on infrared. The manufacturer says it has a single 3 core wire exiting the sauna ready to be wired to a breaker.

The sauna is approx 25m from the inside of the consumer unit.

My plan is to run 6mm2 3 core wire from the outside of the consumer unit, under trunking down the wall and then 12" underground in tube trucking to the place of the sauna. I plan a 63a RCCB IP65 consumer unit with a 40amp MCB within a metre of the sauna electric point, i then plan a IP65 40amp isolator, and then to sauna.
Hopefully then an elecrician can inspect and wire all the laid out electrics and also to the inside consumer unit.

The reason for the post was just to see if my theory was correct in my lay out as i didnt want to do the ground work to have missed something???

any advice on the above appreciated

regards

Agreed contact your spark 1st afterall it's him who's got to put his name on the cert, not saying you were checking how to do it on here so you can do it yourself or owt ;)

hi, i have an outside barrel sauna on order to be with me in 4 weeks.

in the mean time i want to build a concrete/deck base and lay the electrics to it and then get a qualified electrcian to make the final connections and inspect.

The sauna is UK voltage 8800watts, 6kw on stove and 2.8kw on infrared. The manufacturer says it has a single 3 core wire exiting the sauna ready to be wired to a breaker.

The sauna is approx 25m from the inside of the consumer unit.

My plan is to run 6mm2 3 core wire from the outside of the consumer unit, under trunking down the wall and then 12" underground in tube trucking to the place of the sauna. I plan a 63a RCCB IP65 consumer unit with a 40amp MCB within a metre of the sauna electric point, i then plan a IP65 40amp isolator, and then to sauna.
Hopefully then an elecrician can inspect and wire all the laid out electrics and also to the inside consumer unit.

The reason for the post was just to see if my theory was correct in my lay out as i didnt want to do the ground work to have missed something???

any advice on the above appreciated

regards

What are you going to connect the armoured in the house into? you mentioned an rcd at the sauna end, whats the plan indoors? and are you sure a 6mm2 cable will be adequate, ring your spark M8

6mm cable sounds a bit small to me for 8.8Kw with that length of run (25m), I would suggest you use 10mm to be on the safe side, to allow for the volt drop over the 25m run. Also have you decided what type of cable you are going to use? I would suggest 3 core SWA (steel wired armoured). May cost you a bit more but im sure your electrician would agree as the csa of the earth will be 10mm along with the armouring earthed will help to reduce your Zs reading.

sorry i seem to have registered with the wrong forum... i shud have gone with HNC mechanical Engineer qualified idiot DIYer that fancies running some cable out for an electrican.
Your right i will call an electrican and ask him exactly the same wording as posted in here....

The replies you got were very sensible actually, we asked genuine questions, if you can't stand the heat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry i seem to have registered with the wrong forum... i shud have gone with HNC mechanical Engineer qualified idiot DIYer that fancies running some cable out for an electrican.
Your right i will call an electrican and ask him exactly the same wording as posted in here....

Right KAS1, here you go...... Daz

- - - Updated - - -

I meant that in good humour by the way, should have put a smiley :smile: Daz

sorry i wasnt going to reply.... but to answer the questions
- the manufacturer recommended 6mm" cable for 25m length run to the sauna as it was within acceptable voltage drop tolerances.
- i wasnt planning on doing anything myself with the cable to the internal consumer unit.

im also sorry this isnt the forum for asking if ive got the cable layout sorted....

- i wasnt planning on doing anything myself with the cable to the internal consumer unit.

Fair enough, might just be worth running the cable in for the spark and let him supply and fit the kit he feels is right, 6mm2 may well be okay, personally I would put 10mm2 in, that would be my choice, I would work out what was needed first of course though, as for the trench, the proper way is 600mm2 deep with sand on the base then the cable, add the mud on this then add a layer of tape warning the cable is below then fill the trench back in, if it a problem you may be able to run the cable a different way hence my suggestion about getting a spark around first before you purchase anything.

*Quoted spam post removed*

And this is relevant how?? The question was electrical based not "which sauna would be best for me?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to outside garden sauna in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net