Discuss Oven connected into ring - EGBR says this is ok? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have just been asked by a customer if he can just plug his new cooker into a socket. I have said 'No' it needs to be on a dedicated circuit..

I then thought I'd do a bit of research as its only a 2.5kW oven and wanted to see it in black and white in the regs.

I didn't ecpect the Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations (Page 55 - 4.4) to say

"For lightly loaded circuits ovens of rating 13A or less may be connected into a ring final circuit"

Not sure if his kitchen is on its own ring, but if it is I guess its ok to plug in the oven?

Just doesn't seem right, especially after seeing all of Jason's entrys about having to be 2kW or less?

ps... I'll make this my last post for a bit, getting a bit carried away and a bit addicted to this electrics lark ...:rolleyes4:

if it comes with a fitted plug, then it's OK to plug it in.

The dedicated circuit issue mainly revolves around loads of a constant deman, such as the immersion.

If it is a domestic appliance used irregularly then it makes little difference.

If there an unused cooker outlet you could change it for a single socket and plug the oven into that,then you will have a dedicated circuit and the customer can use the existing cooker switch to turn it on and off if they so wish.

Just thought I'd finish the thread. The original oven was plugged in, the new oven stated that it could have a plug fitted fused to 13A so thats what I did. The hob was confusing! It had 2.5mm flex on it and stated that it needed to be fused down to 23A (it was 5000W). The 45A cooker switch fed both oven and hob and was run with 6mm cable protected by 32A MCB.

I have removed the flex on the hob and connected the 6mm (that was previously feeding the last hob)directly into the new hob as there were 32A terminals in a box fitted into the underneath of the hob.

I didn't like taking off the flex as that is what it came with but I have to admit that I didn't know how to fuse down to 23A - I cant change the MCB as it feeds both oven/hob and needs to be 32A. Is there a FCU that is greater than 13A??

You can get a 25 amp MCB and put it in an enclosure, ideally you need two supply's 1 for the oven and 1 for the hob . Don't think you should have that 2.5mm flex protected by 32 amp MCB its max current carrying capacity of flex is 25amps

Thanks Flanders,

You're right it may affect the warranty but I just couldn't leave the 2.5mm on there knowing it was only protected by a 32A MCB. I cant see anything wrong with replacing smaller cable for bigger? Just seems crazy charging the lady hundreds of pounds for a new circuit when this is safe!

Ok.. but if it doesn't have a plug?

Lets say it doesn't have a plug, the kitchen is on its own ring and its less than or equal to 13A?
use diversity here...
if its 3KW...then you can usually knock a KW off it....
think about it....if the oven has a grill...then the internal wiring will dictate that both grill and oven will not be on at once....

Just thought I'd finish the thread. The original oven was plugged in, the new oven stated that it could have a plug fitted fused to 13A so thats what I did. The hob was confusing! It had 2.5mm flex on it and stated that it needed to be fused down to 23A (it was 5000W). The 45A cooker switch fed both oven and hob and was run with 6mm cable protected by 32A MCB.

I have removed the flex on the hob and connected the 6mm (that was previously feeding the last hob)directly into the new hob as there were 32A terminals in a box fitted into the underneath of the hob.

I didn't like taking off the flex as that is what it came with but I have to admit that I didn't know how to fuse down to 23A - I cant change the MCB as it feeds both oven/hob and needs to be 32A. Is there a FCU that is greater than 13A??

A appliance actually stated to fuse it down to 23A?

The 45A cooker switch fed both oven and hob and was run with 6mm cable protected by 32A MCB.
Nearly all of them are. You don't need a new circuit.

4mm would do. Actually 2.5mm would probably do but that would require knowledge and test equipment.

I didn't like taking off the flex as that is what it came with but I have to admit that I didn't know how to fuse down to 23A - I cant change the MCB as it feeds both oven/hob and needs to be 32A.
Does it?

OPDs are there to protect the cable, not appliances.

Is there a FCU that is greater than 13A??
No. Do you think you should be doing this work?

You'd think there would be tradesmen around who knew how to do this sort of thing.

Goodness me, what if it was a COOKER with hob and oven stuck together?

Reply to Oven connected into ring - EGBR says this is ok? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net