Discuss PAT Testing American string lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

notaskyofearth

Hello,

I wonder if somebody might be able to advise me. I'm intending to use a set of outdoor American string lights in the UK. They are fitted with an American 3-pig plug and 110v so I need to use a step down converter.

Is it possible to get this sort of thing PAT tested?

Many thanks,

Anthony

Please tell me WHY, would you be so bloody daft as to import a set of US string lights, complete with 120 volt lamps and with an American style plug top??? So now you need a step down TX, just to add to the costs!!

So what are you hoping to achieve using this totally inappropriate system, because i'm stomped??

Hi there,

I didn't import them. And I won't be using them if it's not practical/safe to do so. It sounds like one or other might be the case from what you say in your post.

Unless they're really special string lights it won't be worth buying a 110-230v step-up transformer. If you've really got to have them working then take them to a supplier like Maplin and ask at the counter for a transformer that will be suitable, if you're lucky they might have a pre-assembled unit that just plugs in. If not you're going to need an enclosure, a couple of glands, cable, plug etc and put it together yourself or get a sparky to make it up for you.

Reply to PAT Testing American string lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, We have a limited in house PAT testing requirement and were advised that the TIS700 fitted our needs. The unit works fine for 110V and...
Replies
Views
I live in Australia; you can use a socket tester to test the RCD for the power outlet circuit. Plug device to a 3-pin wall socket, set testing mA...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am currently learning and have come across PAT testing an old chandelier. On modern lamps I would use the plug and probe on the...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
Hi wondering if someone can advise me on something.. Im installing a few outdoor lights, will spur them off a ring via fused spur. question is...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock