Discuss PAT Testing. Equipment register. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just started PAT Testing and have been out to my first pitch. I was able to see what items had been tested and whether it was a visual or combined inspection and test.
The following question has arisen. Due to new items being bought since the last scheduled visit.
Who is responsible for Putting New items on the company equipment register. The company register template that is in the COP forth edition. Form V1 asks for an equipment ID number, location, Equipment description, serial number, and finally frequency of formal visual inspection, and combined inspection and test.
I’ve looked through the COP and electricity at work regulations 1989 and it’s quite ambiguous . Could someone please point me to where it says who is to add a new item to the register. I’m torn between it needing to be me who should put it on or telling the manager he should add it, as it would make buying new items hard as they have to pay a call out fee every time something needs adding to the register.

Last edited:
don't know what the installation is, but IMO, the guy that runs the place is the duty holder and it's his responsibilty to keep records of equipment up to date and schedule any test/inspection required.

Just started PAT Testing and have been out to my first pitch. I was able to see what items had been tested and whether it was a visual or combined inspection and test.
The following question has arisen. Due to new items being bought since the last scheduled visit.
Who is responsible for Putting New items on the company equipment register. The company register template that is in the COP forth edition. Form V1 asks for an equipment ID number, location, Equipment description, serial number, and finally frequency of formal visual inspection, and combined inspection and test.
I’ve looked through the COP and electricity at work regulations 1989 and it’s quite ambiguous . Could someone please point me to where it says who is to add a new item to the register. I’m torn between it needing to be me who should put it on or telling the manager he should add it, as it would make buying new items hard as they have to pay a call out fee every time something needs adding to the register.
The Duty holder of the firm/client you have been employed to test equipment is duty bound to give you an up to date register of ALL the items that require testing, it's not your responsibility to provide a register, unless specifically asked to do so at an extra cost to testing. If you are doing these tests then I would suggest you invest in the CoP for ISITEE, it's all in there in black and white.

I'm reading the COP now from cover to cover. Just thought I'd ask if anyone could point me to the section that covers this.
I'm back and forth on this topic between the COP and the electricity at work regulations 1989. The parts I've read are as I've mentioned quite ambiguous. And quite contrary to itself.

Thanks for the answers.
has pointed me in the correct direction. The manager/duty holder had questions that I said I'd get definitive answers for. Like I said I'm reading the literature, but just wanted a little help with this one topic. So I could answer the question.

Ok thanks. I’m not actually doing any testing at the moment. I have a job already. I’m trying to find my feet first. I don’t have any actually PAT Testing work until November, That’s when the next test are due on this job, so I have until then to be actually ready.

A company should appoint a controller. He or she is the person who decides inter alia on the frequency of tests and the items to be tested.
Most controllers have this thrust upon them, and accept the post reluctantly, thus they employ you to do the work...and, if you choose to accept the mission, advise them accordingly. If you accept that mission, you must be extra diligent, and of course charge more for that responsibility. That is the happy, perfect scenario...but most companies just want stickers on everything... and if you bin that dodgy extension lead from the big river, they will dig it out of the bin as soon as you are back in your van.
One day, not long ago, I saw that ny routine visit to one office had been usurped...she told me that a new guy had come along last week and did the job for half my price, and she was sorry but she had forgotten to cancel me.
I shrugged, and went two doors down to Greggs for a coffee...where, in the queue, an employee of the office told me that the boss had simply bought a roll of "Pass" stickers from a well-known store, and stuck them on everything..."because they are working fine"...

In every job I have had in my life, I always hear the same refrain from those who believe in doing a proper job...
"I mean...you try to help someone........"
Little wonder that we often just give up...

Thanks Ruston!
Just getting that in there before my post gets deleted like the other one in a PA testing thread did a few minutes ago!
Apparently, it was a rant...my behind! It was the truth! Plenty of folks rant on here!
If it wasn't for the fact I am enjoying the sun here so much I would take it up with the mods...but what's the point?

Quite a few have left this forum because of suffering censorship of validly held views, and the forum is a poorer place for that.

Reply to PAT Testing. Equipment register. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net