Discuss "PAT" testing. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tdunbar

Was carrying out a review on my insurance cover very recently and something come to mind in relation to cover for In Service Inspectionand Testing of Electrical Equipment (that thing we all refer to as PAT testing).
From my research it would seem that all the relevant parties – employers, testers and insurance companies, still call this PAT testing despite the “portable” description being just a part of the process. I am one of those who still refers to it as PAT testing as it is a much easier mouthful than “In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment” and everybody knows what it means – or do they?
The issue of what or what is not tested has been clarified by the latest Code of Practice – In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment, 4[SUP]th[/SUP]Edition. This is telling us that Portable, which is usually the most common type of equipment, is only part of the test regime and there are other types ofelectrical equipment also requiring inspection and testing as a way of demonstrating compliance with electricity at work legislation.
These additional types include Fixed, Stationary, Movable, Hand Held etc and they are classified this way because of the way they are employed.
Portable appliances or equipment, by definition, is equipment less than 18kg that is intended to be moved while in operation or an appliance that can easily be moved from one place to another, e.g. toaster, laminator, fanheater, desk fan, extension lead and this is what we normally call the Test.
But what about the other equipment that is not Portable. The client or employer has a legal responsibility under legislation to ensure that all electrical equipment and appliances are adequately maintained free from risk and I wonder do they know this.
When a client or employer sources someone to carry out what he usually calls PAT testing I doubt if he actually means that only the “portable equipment” is to be tested. I think what he wants is someone to carry out the necessary testing of electrical equipment on his site as recommended in the Code of Practice so that he is compliant with the legislation. Portable appliance testing only may well not achieve compliance.
What should be tested is, and by risk assessment, all electrical equipment and appliances whatever way they are connected to the electrical supply. This will most likely mean disconnection of equipment to expose the N,L,&E conductors so that the test can be carried out. This is something that most testers are not competent to do without suitable certification.
Some say that if it isn’t connected by a 13A plug it is considered part of the building’s general electrical installation. Not so. It comes under “In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment”
So where does this leave the client, tester and the insurance company whom, as I have said earlier, all seem to refer to this regime as PAT testing – Portable ApplianceTesting.
To the client, if this is all he wants done, then fine but he will not be in compliance with the legislation.
To the tester, if all he tests is portable appliances, he is not providing a proper service and the client may be of the opinion that he is paying for what is necessary to ensure he is compliant with legislation when in actual fact this will not be the case.
To the insurance company, if it provides cover for what is written in the policy “PAT testing “ and a tester, quite rightly, carries out the tests in accordance with “In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment”and causes a situation by testing a hard wired appliance which results in a claim, will the tester be covered? The insurer could claim that the cover only extended to Portable Appliances - equipment less than 18kg that is intended tobe moved while in operation or an appliance that can easily be moved from oneplace to another, e.g.toaster, laminator, fan heater, desk fan, extension lead etc.
So what can we do?
Under the current CoP the client is the person responsible for carrying out an assessment to determine the test regime necessary as he is liable under legislation for ensuring he maintains electrical equipment and appliances free from risk. The client should provide the tester with a list of equipment which he wants tested. That is all the tester should do bearing in mind this might include equipment which is hard wired as well as fitted with a plug. The tester should ensure he is properly qualified to isolate, disconnect and reconnect equipment or use someone who is. This can be a bit costly for what one gets per item tested but could be factored in to the price.
The insurances companies should keep up to date with the latest code of practice to ensure it provides the correct level of cover for testers operating under “In Service Inspection and Testing ofElectrical Equipment”.

All of this, I think, because we do not use the proper terminology for the process. Maybe we should really call it "IST" testing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh. That bit gets me as well. Same as counting the number of wires in a conductor when considering the nominal resistance of the appliance supply cable. Tad difficult to perform in the field.

OK this is how it works you have 2 set ups one is Inspection & Testing this covers the fixed wiring in a property then there is ISI&TEE or PAT as some refer to this cover Electrical Equipment whether it has a plug on it or not and this has always been the case.

So whats the problem well someone thought PAT had a nice ring to it plus people like the scheme providers struck on a good revenue stream ie train non electricians as PAT testers so companies set themselves up and of they went only problem was the elephant in the room ie fixed appliances ie Electric cooker or Storage heater no problem there then ? WELL HOLD ON yes there is a non electrician ie a specific trained PAT tester is not competent or covered insurance wise to open up a switch fuse outlet or a cooker outlet to test the appliance SO WHATS PROBLEM I hear you say.

Well as a landlord or the person in charge of a buildings ISI&TEE (PAT) testing should get ALL electrical equipment tested now we are back to the elephant in the room. No big deal you say just get an electrician to do the fixed equipment and the PAT tester to to the portable equipment and thats great on a big job but not on a small one .

So now we are in the middle of the urban myths such as.

1. If it aint got a plug on it then you do not test it under ISI&TEE (PAT) NO NOT TRUE
2. You must test your equipment every year NOT TRUE you must risk asses the situation so it could be every 18 24 or 36 moths depending on risk.
3. The test period table in the COP is law NO NOT TRUE it is their as a guide only.
4. You must have your C&G2377 to be competent NO NOT TRUE maybe a non electrician needs it for insurance purposes.
The tester will dictate the next test date NO NOT TRUE it is the duty holder who will decide the tester must leave the retest date blank.

I would agree that PAT testing is a greatly miss used term and is widely miss understood, Even by people who do it!
I have been on both sides of the fence so to speak whereby I have tested only "portable" items and told that I was over the top.
Then on the flip side I have tried to test fixed equipment and been told not to bother because it does not need to be done.

I think allot of it goes down to the specific companies risk assessments and policies (rightly or wrongly)
The company I work for only tests equipment that is portable any fixed items such as hand dryers are not tested routinely.
But the circuits they are connected to are tested to some degree by a annual TEGG test.

I would guess that it is considered that fixed equipment is less likely to cause harm as its fixed, And as ime sure we all know portable stuff generally is abused to a extent that it can become dangerous very quickly.
Extension leads piled up, split flexes etc.

Dont get me wrong I am no defending the situation in any way, Just pointing out where I think the system fails.

Hence Tiny why the test regime allows for testing by assessment taking into consideration the environment and the status of the user. But at some time they will need tested.

Was carrying out a review on my insurance cover very recently and something come to mind in relation to cover for In Service Inspectionand Testing of Electrical Equipment (that thing we all refer to as PAT testing).
From my research it would seem that all the relevant parties – employers, testers and insurance companies, still call this PAT testing despite the “portable” description being just a part of the process. I am one of those who still refers to it as PAT testing as it is a much easier mouthful than “In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment” and everybody knows what it means – or do they?
The issue of what or what is not tested has been clarified by the latest Code of Practice – In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment, 4[SUP]th[/SUP]Edition. This is telling us that Portable, which is usually the most common type of equipment, is only part of the test regime and there are other types ofelectrical equipment also requiring inspection and testing as a way of demonstrating compliance with electricity at work legislation.
These additional types include Fixed, Stationary, Movable, Hand Held etc and they are classified this way because of the way they are employed.
Portable appliances or equipment, by definition, is equipment less than 18kg that is intended to be moved while in operation or an appliance that can easily be moved from one place to another, e.g. toaster, laminator, fanheater, desk fan, extension lead and this is what we normally call the Test.
But what about the other equipment that is not Portable. The client or employer has a legal responsibility under legislation to ensure that all electrical equipment and appliances are adequately maintained free from risk and I wonder do they know this.
When a client or employer sources someone to carry out what he usually calls PAT testing I doubt if he actually means that only the “portable equipment” is to be tested. I think what he wants is someone to carry out the necessary testing of electrical equipment on his site as recommended in the Code of Practice so that he is compliant with the legislation. Portable appliance testing only may well not achieve compliance.
What should be tested is, and by risk assessment, all electrical equipment and appliances whatever way they are connected to the electrical supply. This will most likely mean disconnection of equipment to expose the N,L,&E conductors so that the test can be carried out. This is something that most testers are not competent to do without suitable certification.
Some say that if it isn’t connected by a 13A plug it is considered part of the building’s general electrical installation. Not so. It comes under “In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment”
So where does this leave the client, tester and the insurance company whom, as I have said earlier, all seem to refer to this regime as PAT testing – Portable ApplianceTesting.
To the client, if this is all he wants done, then fine but he will not be in compliance with the legislation.
To the tester, if all he tests is portable appliances, he is not providing a proper service and the client may be of the opinion that he is paying for what is necessary to ensure he is compliant with legislation when in actual fact this will not be the case.
To the insurance company, if it provides cover for what is written in the policy “PAT testing “ and a tester, quite rightly, carries out the tests in accordance with “In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment”and causes a situation by testing a hard wired appliance which results in a claim, will the tester be covered? The insurer could claim that the cover only extended to Portable Appliances - equipment less than 18kg that is intended tobe moved while in operation or an appliance that can easily be moved from oneplace to another, e.g.toaster, laminator, fan heater, desk fan, extension lead etc.
So what can we do?
Under the current CoP the client is the person responsible for carrying out an assessment to determine the test regime necessary as he is liable under legislation for ensuring he maintains electrical equipment and appliances free from risk. The client should provide the tester with a list of equipment which he wants tested. That is all the tester should do bearing in mind this might include equipment which is hard wired as well as fitted with a plug. The tester should ensure he is properly qualified to isolate, disconnect and reconnect equipment or use someone who is. This can be a bit costly for what one gets per item tested but could be factored in to the price.
The insurances companies should keep up to date with the latest code of practice to ensure it provides the correct level of cover for testers operating under “In Service Inspection and Testing ofElectrical Equipment”.

All of this, I think, because we do not use the proper terminology for the process. Maybe we should really call it "IST" testing?
:snore::snore::snore:

ever thought of applying for a job here:

Open University - Velocity Diagrams - YouTube

Reply to "PAT" testing. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net