Discuss periodics & rated people in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electricsafewm

Hi all i have just joined rated people .com and after a few days i dont think its too bad tbh, but brought a job for a periodic test on a 3bed property for a landlord today and after calling the customer he explained he just got off the phone to another electrical company who does periodic test for £75 minus the cost of the job £4.80 + vat ,, now is it me or is that really low he also went on to tell me how the other electrician offered 4 in one day ,,,i may be a little slow but surly there is now way of doing that amount in one day .
i thought i was doing them cheap at £99 whats the norm??? and has anyone else had any success on rated people??

Ive been on there two years and done ok, Its getting busy now because of the tv adverts, my advice is dont touch the under £100 with a bargepole, just not worth it at all, You get a lot of chancers on there and yes a hell of a lot of "landlord safety certificates" for under £100.... not worth it

4 in a day.....pure and utter cowboys

I would say £99 is cheap, usually at least half a day gone! However I find it easier when property is empty of furniture (which could be the case on rentals), I could never get near to 4 in a day!!!! Napit claim that it is a good earner (EICR), im not so sure!

ive always charged £130 but was losing them all to £100 guys ,, and as the old saying goes if you cant beat them join them ,, but at £69 i think i will declare defeat.

Ive been on there two years and done ok, Its getting busy now because of the tv adverts, my advice is dont touch the under £100 with a bargepole, just not worth it at all, You get a lot of chancers on there and yes a hell of a lot of "landlord safety certificates" for under £100.... not worth it

4 in a day.....pure and utter cowboys

Im with you on that. The under 100 one are a bit tedious to be fair. Watch the budget and look at the description carfully

Mind you the £50 i paid for a rewire couple of month was the worst.. She didnt even own the house I was quoting on. She was thinking about buying it and was interested in how much to rewire..

personally £75 for 1-2 hours work is ok , if they have alot of property then its worth while giving a decent rate
rated people i find if your not first to buy then dont bother , i get about 90% of the jobs im first to buy
dont touch rewire jobs when there budget is 1k or 2k

letting agent im trying to get in with have there spark doing eicr for £40 a house

Sounds like a total joke to me, must be desperate for work, or just starting out!

the customer tells you how much they are paying??? Lol

scraping the bottom of the barrel springs to mind

Would rather go bankrupt than spend my money on them cowboys. £50/£70 just for a lead.
Ask yourself who's ripping who off?

Clue! Deff ain't you!

periodics & rated people

There is another side to the story though
2 years ago when they came on the scene I was the only one using them in my area of North Wales, The lead prices were about 20% cheaper, I was cleaning up the jobs under 250, and the 100 jobs you could do two in a day locally, I also have had 10+ rewires, yes I've missed a few but that's business, it isn't the same now however, lead prices are dearer and every Tom dick & Harry doing it, Rewire came up in same village, it was gone within 5 mins and I lost another on the next street to an out of town contractor

Just had a look on the site. First (nearest) job to me is
  • Job Description To replace existing fuse box with a domestic consumer unit.
  • Budget Under £250
  • Date 04:50 04 February 2013
After paying for the lead I think I'd send the customer some money. I'd be less out of pocket.

periodics & rated people

4/6 way ccu?, can get them c/w breakers for £50, tails & earth £10, that's £190 to fit for less than a days work , that's about right for 4/6 way

Granted a 10 way is different story and it might not be straight forward ect ect.

One came up yesterday 10 miles away from me

New fuse board £1000

Are you saying you paid £50 just for a lead :whatchutalkingabout ??

yip, Started a while ago first lead got a DB bonding and tails and couple of sockets. £400 job to me so add £50 to the account and pocket the profit. Had a couple of rewires from it and again same story £2400 job add £100 to the account.

Got a few juicy leads from it when business is slow.. Yeah its a bugger when you dont get them but the money ive made from the previous jobs more than pays for it.. If it gets to the point i am adding money not earned from jobs then thats a different story

periodics & rated people

Also here's a different angle

Big city like Manchester, there can be 20-25 leads a day within the M60 or there snouts, 10 could be fiddly little £100 but they could be and often are , replace a socket, add a socket, replace an extractor ect

If you struggling for work you can clean 3-4 of these up in a good day

Reply to periodics & rated people in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net