Discuss petrol station certificates in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lrelectrical

What qualifications/cards would I need to work on petrol stations I am Elecsa registration but do think I might have to go Eca instead please help what route to go as good profits to be made

You will almost certainly need ECA registration or equivalent (NICEIC etc) and I am fairly certain that you will also need a to gain some petrochem accreditations.

So of the lads with experience in this area of industry will be responding soon I'm sure.

thanks hiddo, many thanks as it would be a good contract for me , i have vast experience but this is new one for me, but just require a bit more info off members that are doing it .

You don't need to be registered with any scheme but you are required to hold up to date CompEX 07 and 08 certs. Also, most training providers won't take you unless you hold 2391/2394+2395.

Do you need these petrol qualifications to say work on the electrics inside the shop?

In a word, no, but... And it is a big BUT, petrol stations have very complex installations that need to be flawlessly designed. Any work carried out on electrical systems within an area other than the forecourt that could potentially have a future impact on electrical systems elsewhere would need to be worked on by someone competent to do so. I would highly advise that anyone without CompEx 07 - 08 as a minimum shouldn't be going anywhere near a petrol filling station. This is not work for your average jobbing spark.

My final piece of advise to anyone wishing to go down the route of carrying out work in petrol filling stations is that they get hold of 'Design, Construction, Modification, Maintenance and Decommissioning of Petrol Filling Stations' 2nd Edition. Otherwise known as "The Blue Book". This is also essential, I would even say a requirement, for anyone wishing to know more about or work on these installations.

Petrol stations aren't a game and the HSE would quite literally have a field day with anyone even attempting to work on or around a petrol filling station forecourt without being 100% competent to do so! In my opinion, working in a petrol filling station shop without a blue book and CompEx 07 - 08 is a massive no no.

Sounds good info Skelton...Just slightly off the subject...went to brand new Shell garage and mini market today, ready to connect red care to fire alarm system, after security company refused to connect with their alarm......on entering shop area found part 6 domestic aico smoke alarms installed throughout the shop, office and storage areas. We will now not connect either. I would have thaught as past experience that all forcouts had gas suppression incase of fire, and a usually good system install in main shop...just wondering your thaughts..

SPA PASSPORT to carry out maintance & servicing on forecourts,CompEX 7/8 to do any install or testing of electrical work.
Not sure but i think there is only one course provider left in the UK,thats PR HURT in Yeovil,course cost around £1000 not an easy one to pass.

Sounds good info Skelton...Just slightly off the subject...went to brand new Shell garage and mini market today, ready to connect red care to fire alarm system, after security company refused to connect with their alarm......on entering shop area found part 6 domestic aico smoke alarms installed throughout the shop, office and storage areas. We will now not connect either. I would have thaught as past experience that all forcouts had gas suppression incase of fire, and a usually good system install in main shop...just wondering your thaughts..

Unfortunately fire detection and suppression systems aren't my area of expertise but they should have a part 1 fire alarm system for sure! Slightly worried that they didn't already have Redcare or were you just installing that to replace an out dated means of auto communicator? Out of interest, why did the security company refuse to connect?

Also, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that gas suppresion systems aren't a requirement in a forecourt unless specifically requested by the fire officer, building control or the insurance company.

Last edited:
They nor us will connect becuase it is not a part 1 system, being commercial, domestic smoke detectors are not permitted in commercial premises. was interesting to know that suppression is not mandratory, and down to a risk assessment. Thanks for the input, useful info

Don't forget you'll also have to tell your insurance company if you start working in Petrol stations as most PL & PI's won't cover you!

Skeltons input is most informative...and practical...and why i ask the info is tht one of my jobs is to design the sum fills at Heathrow and Gatwick runway airports..this is any fuel or haydrocarbon that is dumped on the the runway is quickly dealt with, we used protein foam feed from mains water pressure to saturate the problem before a fire can start

This is all very interesting - does this include all electrical work?
What about swapping motors and displays on the dispensers themselves - with this being a component are the rules different?

In Ireland to work in Conoco philips and Shell sites you needed an Atex Practitioners Certificate, Compex wasn't enough even though Compex is the better course in my opinion.This was for all workers Any Electrical work then had to be inspected and certified by an Atex inspector

Reply to petrol station certificates in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net