Discuss Petrol station regulations? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been working on petrol stations for about a year now but came across something for the first time to my knowledge petrol stations needed to be on a tt earthing (Earth electrode) arrangement and protected by rcd 4 pole main switch now I came across a petrol station on a t-n-s arrangement but with no rcd protection but had a 4 pole main switch and all external circuits on double and four pole rcd protection as I have to sign the test sheets I just want to know for myself if it's acceptable to be on a t-n-s earthing and if anyone can point me In the right direction as to a regs books for petrol stations as I have searched high and low in the bs:7671:2011 special locations and other books but can't find anything set in stone any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jason

The mind boggles.
This elementary fact would have come up on your Compex course, so maybe get the notes out about it?
Or was the course that bad that they didnt teach the basics correctly?

The mind boggles.
This elementary fact would have come up on your Compex course, so maybe get the notes out about it?
Or was the course that bad that they didnt teach the basics correctly?

to my knowledge there wasn't any mention about above issues regarding tns earthing and what rcd protection etc was needed but I'll check notes if I can find them thanks

the blue book indicates that a tt earthing system or a guaranteed tn - s system from a dedicated on site transformer is preferred for the filling station supply. it also warns that a tn-s earthing system from the public supply should not be used .

I know nothing about petrol station installations, but I'm pretty sure you should have (or at least be aware of) the regs for these if you are working on them! Daz

page1image6024

Is that it?

Hello everyone,

I have been working on petrol stations for about a year now but came across something for the first time to my knowledge petrol stations needed to be on a tt earthing (Earth electrode) arrangement and protected by rcd 4 pole main switch now I came across a petrol station on a t-n-s arrangement but with no rcd protection but had a 4 pole main switch and all external circuits on double and four pole rcd protection as I have to sign the test sheets I just want to know for myself if it's acceptable to be on a t-n-s earthing and if anyone can point me In the right direction as to a regs books for petrol stations as I have searched high and low in the bs:7671:2011 special locations and other books but can't find anything set in stone any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jason
There's no surprise there then!

I find it hard to believe you've been working on petrol stations for a full year and have no awareness at all of the regulations pertaining to these sites. Daz

I'm just asking for advise as I have never come across this before thought this is what this site was for to help and expand knowledge you've told me what I need and it's purchased so I can now learn i didn't want the answer on a plate that's why I asked for what I could buy to help with this issue and someone has thank you

I'm just asking for advise as I have never come across this before thought this is what this site was for to help and expand knowledge you've told me what I need and it's purchased so I can now learn i didn't want the answer on a plate that's why I asked for what I could buy to help with this issue and someone has thank you

Wasn't having a go mate, just genuinely surprised that someone can be working in this sort of hazardous environment and not be up to date with the regs that go hand in hand with it. Apologies if offence caused. Daz

So what have you based your testing on for the past year?

the blue book indicates that a tt earthing system or a guaranteed tn - s system from a dedicated on site transformer is preferred for the filling station supply. it also warns that a tn-s earthing system from the public supply should not be used .[/QUOTE]
Can't see the difference to be honest, you still need to Ground the Neutral on the dedicated TX, so you'll still need to be driving rods in the ground.

Can't see a reason for not allowing a public supply TN-S system, unless they are worried about the TN-S supply being PME'd in the future. Yet listen to these DNO's and they say they can supply a TN-S system from a TNC-S/PME system distribution cable....

Reply to Petrol station regulations? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net