Discuss Picture lighting help for above dartboard. Connecting a plug in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

CableGuy180

Picture lighting help for above dartboard. Connecting a plug

Hello all , iv just joined the forum & was hoping to get some help on wiring up a picture light, hopefully after a while ill be able to give something back to the forum :). Anyway im putting a Picture light above my dartboard,ill not be messing with anything until i know what im at & ill get a expert in if in doubt about anything.

I got the following light from arg0s - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0011422/Trail/searchtext%3EPICTURE+LIGHTING.htm

I was wondering if i can connect a plug to this light rather than connecting it to a wall switch,i wont know what im at & the plug root sounds safer & easier if possible?

I took the wire & plug of a old lamp , it has a brown,blue & a earth wire coming from it.
The back of the light has a brown & blue wire coming from it. Iv securely connected the brown & blue wires to the brown & blues wires on the back of the light. (Blue to blue,brown to brown ect)

What should i do with the earth wire? Is it needed? If not can it be capped off may be ?
Will what i am doing work or should i stop right now & get a expert in?
Maybe some pictures would help?

Thanks for your time,much appreciated.

Yes no probs mate.You need to connect the earth as the fitting is metal.Should have a lug on it.Sorry mate just read that again,in the additional information it says it has provisional connection to a socket,no cable supplied.Put some capping over the cable in case a dart hits it

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasnt expecting such fast replies(Good stuff). I cant see any earth studs, there is a screw that goes in each side to hold the back cover on,there is also a little hoop on the end of the earth wire, i could put the screw through the hoop on the end of the wire? (Hope that made sense,lol). Ill try to get a picture of the back of it.

back soon

thanks

I wasnt expecting such fast replies(Good stuff). I cant see any earth studs, there is a screw that goes in each side to hold the back cover on,there is also a little hoop on the end of the earth wire, i could put the screw through the hoop on the end of the wire? (Hope that made sense,lol). Ill try to get a picture of the back of it.

back soon

thanks
Do that mate, spot on:D

Right im a bit of a freaker before plugging this in,lol, better save than sorry ehh. So here is a picture.

Lighting pics 1.jpg

You will see to the left of the picture that i have the screw through the hoop on the end of the earth wire,that screw will also be connected to the back cover once on the wall. That should do the job then?

Thanks

Attachments

• Lighting pics 1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 39
So what would i do with that bit of wire mate, put a little bit of insulating tape over the end of iit or something or just leave it louse?
Sorry for all the Q's ,lol.

thanks

Put some capping over the cable in case a dart hits it

Thanks mac for the tip , ill make sure i have it protected with something.

no worries
stick a connector on it and leave it in the back

& is it ok that its still connected in the plug itself?

Iv tried google guys for allot of these questions , but once earth is added to the search it gives me all sorts of mixed results.

If you have already connected the earth cable onto the lug you mentioned in a previous post, then thats no problems, just leave it as is, it will just act as a beack up. As said in a previous post, the two boxes means that the item is double insulated and doesnt need an earth connected.

In summary: The item does not need an earth, but if you have already connected it into the item, then leave it, it wont cause any harm

And yes, leave the earth connected into the plug itself, it wont cause any harm, and it will also help if the cable does get nicked in some way or hit with a dart.

Reply to Picture lighting help for above dartboard. Connecting a plug in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net